Chapter 13

SkekSil wanted to go to the park again for more walking. Tonight, Brooklyn was preoccupied with more patrolling with Goliath and Broadway.

Angela was allowed to stay home tonight, as was Hudson and Bronx. Even if everyone didn't patrol all the time, there were always a few who did nearly every night for a little bit. Lex was babysitting again.

Sil went to the library to seek out Angela. He hadn't talked to her very much. He saw she was reading a book on the couch.

"What you reading?" Sil asked.

Angela jumped and looked up. It was Sil. "Oh, hi. I was just reading a romantic story." she replied. She was still wary of him. "What brings you here?"

"Looking for friends left home." Sil stated. He came around the couch and just let himself sit down. Angela pulled her legs to her body. "Also want to go to park, and friend Brooklyn out again."

"He should only be a couple of hours. It's not that long." Angela said. "Most patrols aren't too bad."

"I not have chance to talk with you yet. What your story?" Sil asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Brooklyn say you from magic island." Sil replied.

"Yes. That's true." she said.

"Well? Hmm?" Sil cocked his head in curiosity at her.

Angela felt that he was being too invasive too forcefully for her liking, but she told him.

"From what I know from Goliath, my mother, Demona, and the humans who raised me, Princess Katherine, Tom, and Magus, the clan was originally murdered by Vikings. There was no one awake that would have been able to raise me and my rookery kin. Goliath asked my human parents to take care of us. They did for over a thousand years on Avalon. No one can reach it without knowing the incantation to go there." Angela explained.

"Eventually, when an evil sorcerer called the Archmage threatened our lives, the Guardian, Tom, who was like my father growing up anyway, he went and got Goliath and brought him to Avalon. Elisa and Bronx came too. We all defeated the Archmage, the Weird Sisters, and Demona and MacBeth. MacBeth and Demona were under the Weird Sisters' spell. It just goes to show that Oberon's kind are not to be trusted so easily. And after the battle was won, me, Goliath, Elisa, and Bronx went on a World Tour to different places that needed our help. It lasted about six months. We came here to Manhattan the night that young Alex was born." Angela finished.

"Hmm. Quite the story." Sil expressed. "And more?"

"Oberon tried to take Alex to Avalon the same night he was born, and it was revealed that it wasn't necessary. We won, and that was the night that Xanatos said that he owed us a great debt of gratitude. When we got into trouble with the human hunters, he paid back that debt by letting us come live here."

"Did Brooklyn ever try to gain your favor?"

Angela saw that he could speak in a complete sentence for once. "Yes. They all did, at first. But I made it clear to them that I wasn't just some prize to be won and kept. I would make up my own mind in its own time. And by now, I have chosen Broadway as my mate. Brooklyn understands this, even if he might seem jealous. He'll find his mate someday." she declared. "I actually have fifteen rookery sisters on Avalon, and there are gargoyle clans all over the world. Small, but there."

"How many siblings you have altogether?" Sil asked.

"Including me, there were thirty-six of us. Three were also beasts, like Bronx. Boudicca was one of them."

"Like fizzgigs." Sil stated.

"Huh? What are fizzgigs?"

"On Thra, my planet, fizzgigs little balls of fluff, but have good bite. Gelfling keep as pets." Sil explained.