Comfort - Short 11 ⭐

Start from the beginning

"How dare you?!" the astronaut exclaimed in anger.

"Well, it's a lie anyways. None of that hurt me because I'm soooo strong!" he snickered.

"What did you get, Oma?" I asked in curiosity.

"A 100% too." he smiled deviously. Harukawa took the paper from him.

"A 0%."

"Well, of course. I lied. It's funnier to fail than it is to pass." he stuck his tongue out. 

"So, you actually tried to fail?" Momota cringed.

"Maybe.~"

"You okay?" Shuichi turned his towards the girl, who said nothing.

"Yea! It's just a grade." she smiled. 

Yea, it's just a grade...

Just a grade that could've been better if she hadn't been so focused on piano...

...

After class, before Saihara's piano lesson, she went to stop at a supermarket to get some snacks. She didn't want to overwork him with no reward.

While she was registering her items, she began conversation with the poor cashier, just trying to do his job.

"So, that really reminds me of-" Akamatsu began, pointing a finger into the air to express her knowledge of the topic. She was going to express how this situation reminded her of a certain song on a piano.

"Hey, no offense..." the cashier at the convenience store cut her off. "I don't really care."

"Oh." she laughed slightly, hiding her embarrassment. "Sorry."

"Do you talk to everyone like that?" he sighed, registering another item. "Do you play piano? You've been making piano references our whole conversation here. I mean, you're just buying a bag of chips and a soda. How can you talk so much?"

She stifled an argument, she didn't want to make a scene. "I-I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Extroverted people just annoy me. I'm just trying to work, not make conversation. Though, if you're talking piano with people who don't know it, it makes me wonder how many friends you have." he didn't avert his eyes from registering the item. Akamatsu felt a tear form in her eye but quickly rubbed it away.

Usually, this wouldn't have affected her. But it had been a pretty rough day. She hoped talking about piano to someone else would make her feel better, but funnily enough, her mood worsened.

"Here." he gave her change back and the plastic bag. "Have a good day."

"Y-You too." she muttered, taking the bag and hanging her head. She spedwalk out of the convenience store to just get out of there.

"Mmmmmm!" she hummed in frustration as she ruffled her hair. She felt tears form in her eyes from frustration but quickly wiped them away. Was her obsession with piano starting to ruin her life?!

...

As she arrived at her front door, she quickly rubbed away her tears and assumed a neutral expression. She didn't want to worry Saihara. She took a deep breath before opening the door.

"Ah, Kaede." Shuichi was sitting at the couch, talking with her dad.

"Hey, honey." he waved to her. "G-Guess that's my cue to leave." he stuttered before standing up, wiping off his lap before heading out. "Gonna get groceries. Bye now!" he shut the door fast.

They stood there in bewilderment. He had left so suddenly without saying much else. Maybe he didn't want to interrupt the two?

"Shuichi, here are the snacks! How about we take a break from piano today?" she offered as she tossed the bag to him. He quickly caught it before giving her a confused look.