𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐒𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐒

Start from the beginning

A strangled whimper escaped through Alessia's lips. "Can't Jesper shoot the heartrender," Inej said automatically. "Can't we try barrelling the guards, throwing the tank into the water,"

Natasha's eyes sparked with a dangerous flame.

"I'll give them a show," She mumbled, turning the plan over in her mind. Inej contemplated her curiously. "Saints, why didn't I think of this before,"

Alessia caught Natasha's wrist, jolting her back to reality. Natasha's skin was glowing, the life reddening in her cheeks. "What are you doing, Natasha?" Alessia spoke coldly. The Zemeni shook off her hand, still smiling.

"Nothing all that bad," Natasha grinned breathlessly. She crawled off the dome, slipping into the free space beside Kaz. He pursed his lips, surveying the strange sad smile on Natasha's face.

"Remember when we were little," Natasha began explaining breathlessly. "We would watch magic shows on East Stave," Kaz nodded for her to continue. "On my seventh birthday, after you found out what I am, you took me to see a light show. They turned off all the light in the rooms,"

"They robbed half those children blind," Kaz said nonchalantly, still not catching onto whatever she was trying to get at. The others watched their conversation intently, praying that they had some facade of plan.

"I think I've finally worked out the trick," Natasha said with a smile.

"All they did was turn off the lights," Kaz rolled his eyes. "There wasn't much a trick to it.

"Think figuratively," Natasha hinted.

"Kaz," Jesper called from inside the tank. "Now would be a great time to reveal that you saw this coming the entire time, and you and Natasha have got some awesome plan to get us out of here - preferably alive, but I'm not picky right now,"

Jesper was met with stone-cold silence.

Kaz cleared his throat, his shoulder touching Natasha's as they were pushed next to each other against the side of the tank. "I didn't see this coming," He whispered, almost ashamed of himself. "You told me one day I'd run out of tricks, Helvar. It looks like you were right,"

Kaz laughed bitterly as he spoke. The words were meant for Matthias, but Kaz couldn't help watching Natasha as she spoke. However, she wasn't looking at him.

"I've had my fill of captivity," Inej said resolutely from within the dome. Alessia nodded, lacing her fingers through hers. Inej let out a breathy sigh, looking down at their intertwined hands. "They won't take us alive,"

"Me neither," Added Wylen.

Jesper laughed genuinely from inside the tank. Through the window, you could see that the two were hugging. "We need to find this boy more appropriate friends,"

"Better to go out with your fists swinging than letting some albino bear put me on a pike," Kaz grumbled. He pinched the bridge of his nose as if he were coming on with a bad migraine.

"You mean a polar bear," Matthias said from the opposite end of Nina.

"Are you really about to argue with a dying man, Helvar?" Kaz shot back nastily.

In the space of their argument, Natasha was sliding her fingers between each of Kaz's pockets. His jacket sleeves were damp, filled with soggy documents and spiky pieces of metal.

"We end this here," Nina cried. "No mourners,"

"No," Natasha spun the small glass from Kaz's pocket. He looked down in disbelief between his coat, the vial of parem between Natasha's fingers, and the smile traced on her lips. A part of him was impressed at how easily she had robbed him, she had learnt from the best.