xxviii. knife wounds

Start from the beginning

"Ten silos," Inej said. "Nine crossings."

"They're a lot taller up close," said Nina. "Are you ready for this?"

"No matter the height of the mountain, the climbing is the same." 

"That's not technically true. You need ropes, picks—"

"Don't be a Matthias." Stasiaj warned, as Nina's eyes went wide in horror.

"I'm going to eat twice as much cake to make up for it."

Inej nodded wisely. "Sound policy."

"Inej, you've got this," Stasiaj turned to the Suli girl, as Nina had a small nervous breakdown. "I'll be on the ground and Nina will be here as well. We'll keep you safe."

The patrol was setting out from the guardhouse again.

"Inej," Nina said haltingly, "you should know, my power hasn't been the same since the parem. If we get into a scuffle—"

"No scuffles tonight. We pass through like ghosts." She gave Nina's shoulders a squeeze. "And I know no fiercer warrior, powers or not." 

"But—"

"Nina, Inej, hate to interrupt this lovely bonding moment but the guards." Stasiaj pointed out.

"On it," Nina said, and strode toward the guardhouse.

In the few steps it took her to cross the space from their warehouse lookout to the pool of lamplight bathing the guardhouse, Nina's whole demeanour changed. 

"Please to excuse?" Nina said in a ridiculously thick Ravkan accent.

The guard held his weapon at the ready but didn't look particularly concerned. "You shouldn't be here at night."

Nina murmured something, looking up at him with big green eyes.

"What was that?" said the guard, stepping closer.

"Go," Stasiaj murmured, lighting the low-grade flash bomb and running in the other direction so that she could keep watch for Inej to open the gate for her.

"I come for job, yes?" Nina said. "To make sugar."

"We don't make it here, just store it. You'll want to go to one of the processing plants."

"But I need job. I ... I..."

"Oh, hey now, don't cry. There, there." Stasiaj giggled, as Inej left the gate ajar and Stasiaj slipped through it as quiet as a mouse, keeping to the shadows as she re-joined Inej.

"Your ... uh ... your fella looking for work too?" the guard was asking.

"I have no ... how you say? Fella?"

She heard Nina say her goodbyes and walk off in the direction opposite their lookout. The minutes passed, and just as she became convinced the bomb was defective, a loud pop sounded and a bright flash of light crackled from the warehouse they'd used to spy on the guards. The guard emerged again, rifle raised, and took a few paces toward the warehouse.

"Hello?" he shouted.

Nina slipped from the shadows behind him and was inside the gate in a matter of moments. She closed it securely and headed for the second silo, disappearing into the dark. 

Stasiaj gave Inej one more squeeze on the shoulder, before disappearing into the dark as well, drawing her cloak tighter around her as she ducked down beside one of the silos to watch Inej work, and keep an eye on the guards.

The guard returned to his post, walking backward in case some threat still waited in the warehouses beyond. Finally, he turned and gave the gate a shake to make sure it was locked, then headed inside the guardhouse.