xix. the den

CHAPTER NINETEEN ─── the den 

𝕴f there was a material item that Stasiaj Yahontov was most proud of, it was her home. Her house, of if Stasiaj was keeping true to her aesthetic, the Den, was a tall home on the outskirts of the Barrel, with multiple bedrooms, a large basement and lower area for her Vipers and multiple exits and entrances for reasons such as this.

She might not have brought it entirely through the legal means, but it was her home. Her den and she loved it nearly as much as did her fangs.

"Are you not worried that they will find us?" Jesper whispered, the four boys, Nina and the real Kuwei hurrying along behind Stasiaj through the streets of Ketterdam. The girl hushed him, before whistling quietly and waiting. It took a moment, before a small child appeared in front of her. 

Stasiaj grinned at the sight of one of her vipers, a smaller girl named Ophelia who Stasiaj had found months earlier wandering the streets and calling for her mother. Her mother had never been found, so Stasiaj had taken her in and now Ophelia was one of her lookouts for the Den.

"Darling, take them through the south entrance. You know the one," The girl nodded, before Stasiaj turned towards the Crows. "You'll follow her. She'll take you in."

Stasiaj didn't wait for a response, though her eyes did linger on Kaz for a moment longer than she would have liked. Turning away quickly, the girl swept away from the ragtag group and up towards the main entrance to her house, opening the door quickly and slipping in.

The entrance hallway was still bathed in a warm glow, as Stasiaj had left it, and she threw her cloak over the bottom of the staircase and hurried down towards the basement.

The crows were already inside her basement when she made it down the stairs, looking around at the dorm room for her vipers in awe.

"Who lives here?" Wylan asked, his eyes wide at the kids toys by their pillows, clothes thrown over the ends of beds and books abandoned on the floor. Paintings done by the children were over the walls, along with rare photos of special times. Stasiaj smiled at the sight of one photo of her and Ivarn at a carnival when she was fifteen, and him, ten.

"My vipers," Stasiaj replied, before turning to Ophelia. "Good girl. Tell Ivarn and Celia that I wish to speak with them, would you? They'll be around the Fifth Harbour area."

"Yes, Miss Stasiaj," The girl lisped, before heading for the northern exit and scurrying up into the sewage tunnels. From there, she would appear in one of the alleys off of main street and the girl could wind her way down to to Fifth Harbour, where the older children listened for information from people coming off of ships.