chapter 15- My Very Own Dark Knight

Scarecrow’s POV

We walked through the city of Gotham, police sirens circled us, But none of them where to chase us tonight. Ashleigh’s pale face was luminous in the glaring light of the moon in the dark street of the city we called home, but Ashleigh’s blood red lips fell black against her porcelain skin. I smile darkly was my ravaged and wrecked lips twisted against my lips, as soon we would be at the boundary of Gotham and close to the welcoming light of Wayne manor. I looked ahead to the disguised Harley Quinn, Joker and Two Face, who all looked confidently towards the gothic and silhouetted Wayne manor. I looked back down at Ashleigh and dug my hand into one of my suit pockets and pulled out a delicate lace mask, I stepped behind her and as we walked together and began to place the small lace mask over Ashleigh’s delicate yet sharp features. She brought her hands up to adjust it, as I finished tying the bow. I stepped besides her to answer an assured questioning look, “this is in case something goes wrong, I’ve lost my secret identity, so I don’t want you to loose yours. Ashleigh nodded and smiled, “thank you.” I nodded as we walked up to the open black iron gates of the Wayne estate. I looked down at Ashleigh who gently flipped her hair over the bowed ribbon; I held my breath as we walked up to the wide door way filled with light which held Mr Bruce Wayne.

But who would he recognise first? Would he recognise his old friend turned criminal Harvey dent under all the prosthetics? Would he recognise the once renowned psychiatric doctor turned psycho Dr Harleen Quinzel? Or the man who was known for his smile even in disguise, the Joker? Or even the woman in the mask, a vixen Bruce Wayne was even intrigued by, a woman who had been kidnapped, who had died, and who had returned to the living, my Ashleigh? Soon the shadow cast features of Bruce Wayne came into view, as we came close to the house. But soon Mr Bruce Wayne himself came walking towards us, with power behind him, two bodyguards. “Well, welcome to Wayne manor, it would be best to see you in a better light so I could distinguish all of you.” He turned his back to us as we followed him into the brightly lit door way of the Wayne manor home estate. As soon as we entered the light Bruce Wayne smiled down at Ashleigh, his eyes glimmered with some sort of fascination, but as sudden as that glimmer in his eyes appeared it vanished as quickly, as his eyes darted up to mine with an envious glint in them, “you are all welcome as long as I can have a dance with Miss?” he smiled back down once again welcoming back that fascinated glimmer, she looked over her shoulder at me and smiled, “it’s Mrs, Mrs Crane.” Suddenly his eyes shot back up at mine, with a murderous glint now evident in them, “well Mrs Crane, please tell your husband to try and keep his jealousy under control tonight.” He turned to walk away, only to stop and look over his shoulder, with a smirk on his lips, “you still owe me that dance Mrs Crane.” And once again Bruce Wayne walked away. I looked down at Ashleigh who watched the Joker, Harley Quinn, Two Face, Catwoman and poison ivy walk into Wayne Manor. But as soon as the back came apart of the mass of people inside of the house she turned round to look up at me, “Why did you say you were called Mrs Crane?” I asked as my throat began to dry with nerves, she smiled lightly and placed her smooth hand on my cheek, “because during Oswald Cobblepot’s party, you called me your fiancée and that was a long time ago, Scarecrow, and there is no doubt that the penguin will be in there. ” I smirked down at the intelligent woman before me, if it was true that Ashleigh was my fiancée back then of course we would be married by now. “You are an incredible woman Ashleigh.” I leaned down and placed my lips against her, causing her to smile against my own crooked lips. Soon we pulled away from each other and walked into the warm light of Mr Bruce Wayne house.

Ashleigh’s POV

As soon as we entered the crowded home of Bruce Wayne I was suddenly grasped by the wrist and pulled away from the Scarecrow into a large hall which was filled with people dancing to music which was slow and non-passionate, but as soon as the man’s face came into view, a small classical band began to play something more upbeat and much more passionate, as I stared into the brilliant green eyes of Ra’s Al Ghul. Suddenly a gravel voice began to sing, as we glided across the marble floor, my heart hammered in my chest, I needed to run and find safety in the man I loved. But as soon as I tried to lung out of his grasp I was pulled back into his arms, like I was recoiling. I struggled against him as he pulled me across the hard marble; suddenly Ra’s Al Ghul’s lips were at my ear whispering the lyrics to the song playing in the background. His shoulders relaxed as he sang to me, only giving me a chance to run away, I pushed hard against his chest with a blood red heel, which he quickly grabbed causing me to plummet to the floor, but as an inch of air was left between me and the polished marble he caught me and leaned over me, his green eyes glowing harshly. I swallowed hard, and closed my eyes as I gained my footing, once again. As quickly as I had regained my footing I hooked my heeled foot around the back of Ra’s’ ankle and slipped around his slanted legs, escaping his grasp, my grip less heels scratched against the marble floor as I tried to escape Ra’s through the crowd of spectators, suddenly I was once again gripped by the wrist, which was twisted behind me, as I was slammed into a hard stone wall enclosed by oblivious guest. I gasped for air as Ra’s pushed me further into the wall, I looked around me but that was soon obscured by the green eyes filled with envy and jealousy. Soon tears began to spill onto my lace mask, as I gasped for breath which would not enter my lungs; I was terrified that I would be taken away once again, away from the man I loved, until a familiar darkness filled the room, which welcomed the dark voice which belonged to The Scarecrow, “I hope you’re not afraid of the dark.” Which caused me to smile at my very own dark knight.