“North & South: John Thornton’s Loving Thoughts about Margaret Hale at the Masters’ Dinner” (PG-13 ficlet), 01/06/13 Gratiana Lovelace
Sometimes a gaze or a facial expression can convey more than words. So it is with Richard Armitage’s subtley nuanced portrayal of John Thornton during the Masters’ Dinner Scene in North & South as John gazes upon the woman he loves, Margaret Hale. And if John could share his thoughts with us, perhaps they might be something like this:
She is here, Margaret. I knew that she would come tonight. But yet her coming now is more than my [(1)] imagining--for her loveliness is as bewitching as her smile is sincerely compassionate. She has no equal in intellect and spirit and beauty. What a woman! She is a consort [(2)] for a king in her pale blue satin gown with delicate lace trimmings where my lips would trace my growing love for her in kisses were we alone and in our marriage bed.
Could she but know my heart [(3)] is hers? Would she give her heart to mine? I would adore her all my days and seek only to bring her happiness and joy, as she will bring happiness and joy to me. And in time, our love would give us children to care and guide through life. Oh if only my wishes were dreams that I could fulfill through force of will, I would.
Were I as bold in love as I am in business, I would write you a letter relating my tender feelings to you:
My Darling Margaret,
I hold dear the moments we are together--even when others are present as tonight and I can not speak my love for you out loud. My Margaret, I cling to the hope that you will see me as I see you, my love. My heart is open to your heart, for I will have no other love reside there but you. I have no wants or desires but you.
I love you with a passion and tenderness that I did not know I could feel until you brought me into to life from merely existing. You have changed me forever with my love for you. I have glimpsed paradise on Earth in your caring eyes and loving smile. I can not breathe without wanting to gaze upon your serenely lovely countenance, to feel [(4)] your calming presence, to hear the unwavering kindness in your voice, and to feel the soothing touch of your hand in mine.
My Margaret, could your feelings correspond in any way to mine? For you alone can make me whole and my life complete. For your love, I will live in hope until the end of my days. And if my loving you is all that I am to have, then so be it. I will not reproach you for not returning [(5)] my affections.
But if you do care for me, love me, I will love and cherish you as long as we both shall live. No other woman will ever be as loved as I love you.
Please tell me of your heart, my love. My heart awaits your answer. [(6)]
For I am yours forever, John
Image References (1-6 featured in Wattpad)
1) Image of John Thornton (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) sees the beautiful and spirited Margaret Hale across the room at the Masters’ Dinner in the 2004 BBC Production of North & South, episode 2 (pix 100) was found at
2) Image of Margaret Hale (as portrayed by Daniela Denby-Ashe) is beautiful to behold by Thornton at the Masters’ Dinner in the 2004 BBC Production of North & South Episode 2 (pix 213) was found at http://www.richardarmitageonline.com/north-and-south/north-south-pictures-episode2.html
3) Image of John Thornton (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) smiling at Margaret Hale (as portrayed by Daniela Denby-Ashe) at the Masters’ Dinner in the 2004 BBC Production of North & South, episode 2 (pix 104) was found at
4) Image of John Thornton (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) shakes hands with Margaret Hale (as portrayed by Daniela Denby-Ashe) at the Masters’ Dinner in the 2004 BBC Production of North & South, episode 2 (pix 102) was found at http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/nands/album/episode2/slides/ns2-102.html
5) Image of John Thornton (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) unclasping his hand from Margaret Hale’s hand (as portrayed by Daniela Denby-Ashe) at the Masters’ Dinner in the 2004 BBC Production of North & South, episode 2 (pix 105) was found at http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/nands/album/episode2/slides/ns2-105.html
6) Image of John Thornton (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) gazing longingly upon the beautiful and spirited Margaret Hale across the room at the Masters’ Dinner in the 2004 BBC Production of North & South, episode 2 (pix 116) was found at
7) Nota Bene: The musings of John's heart are my imaginings. I wrote them and shared them with my friends in RAFN. And their kind response prompted me to also share this on my blog and now with my Wattpad readers. Gratiana Lovelace.
8) “Richard Armitage - Best Moments North & South - 2 episode” in a video compilation by misshale78 found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCFO8_sXJ18
Link to Blog with embedded illustrations is:
P.S. One of these days, I hope to find the time to upload my novel length fan fiction of “North & South: Nurturing Love” to my Wattpad site here. For those who can’t wait, I serialized it on my blog last year and the initial chapter link is found at http://gratianads90.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/north-south-nurturing-love-ch-0-4-31912-gratiana-lovelace-post-151/
YOU ARE READING