•Twenty Six•

Começar do início

"We're not ready for all of that, even if we were..." I said starting to trail off.

"What?" He asked looking lost.

"I've done my research about HYDRA, any test subjects they took in went through a sterilization process... neither of us could ever... you know." I said letting out half of a weak laugh.

"I didn't know." He said and his face went still.

"It's alright, I'm okay with permanent babysitter privileges." I said shrugging. It was something I spent many years being upset over that fact, but I could only dwell so much.

"I'm so sorry." He said looking at me with sad eyes.

"It's fine Tony really. We've got everything we need." I said trying to assure him everything was fine. "How's Pepper doing?"

"Happiest I've seen her in years." He said with a sigh. "Never thought I'd see it."

"I'm glad to hear it." I said taking a sip of my drink. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, Morgan was just itching to see you both again." He said softly. "She also had a new toy she wanted to show him."

"Auntie Val look!" I heard and Bucky came out being dragged in hand by Morgan.

She had done several braids in his hair and I could see his face that just wore an expression that he was embarrassed, but he would never say no to her. Tony chuckled and I saw Bucky shoot him a glare.

"You're kid is the devil." He said shaking his head.

"And you my friend are what we call a sucker." Tony said pointing. "Alright come on Morgan time to let your grandparents have their dinner."

Morgan ran over to me and I bent over to give her a big hug. She wrapped her small arms around me and I could hear her giggles and I looked down at her. I cupped my hand around her ear and whispered just loud enough for her to hear.

"Next time I'll show you where my make up is, Bucky loves having his make up done." I said and she smiled up at me and let out a mischievous giggle. "It'll be our secret Agent Stark."

She winked very dramatically and went running back to Tony. I stood back up and Bucky was at my side. Tony waved and picked up the 'spy' equipment and headed out the door. I felt an arm wrap around my waist and I jumped and was pressed against Bucky who wore a devilish smile across his face.

"Where were we?" He asked and I felt his lips press against my own.

I moved against his lips until I felt a braid fall against my face and I let out uncontrollable laughter. I heard a giggle and flipped my head around behind me to see Tony with his hand over Morgan mouth. I reached out and pulled the curtains down to block them out.

"Goodnight!" I heard Tony say.

I look back to Bucky who was pulling braids from his hair. I walked over to the table where dinner had been made. I saw a nice big plate of spaghetti, caprese salad, and a big piece of chicken.

"Wow you really went all out." I said. "What did you do wrong?"

"Nothing, I think." He said wrapped an arm around behind me.

I felt his lips on the side of my neck and a smile formed across my face. I was blushing and I leant back against him. I heard music start playing and I turned around in his arms. He started to saw from side to side and I put my arms loosely around him and held my glass behind him.

"You know, all those years ago I never actually imagined you would have settled down with me." He said smiling down at me.

"Why's that?" I asked him.

"Too stubborn, that and I thought you hated my guts."  He said laughing.

"I did hate your guts." I said looking up at him. "You were also just very cute."

"It was the hair I know it." He said laughing.

"It was very much the hair." I said laughing.

"I love you Val, more than anything." He said softly.

"I love you too."

"Come on Val we're going to be late." I heard from down stairs.

"We live a few hundred yards from them, we'll be fine." I said yelling back.

I finished getting dressed and went to go close my drawer. I saw a flash of green and moved the shirt that partially covered it. I looked down and saw my old suit. I pulled it out and held the familiar material in my hand. My eyebrows furrowed and I felt something weird.

It felt weird to me, I hadn't seen it in so long. There was still a huge tear in the arm of my suit from the last time I wore it. The material was damn near impenetrable, but whatever got me that day was good. I felt a wave of guilt and I could see the scenes from that day flashing through my mind. My brain got fuzzy and I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts. I saw the green necklace I wore back in the day as well and I lifted that up to my hands as well.

I exhaled and set them all back down in the drawer. I took several pieces of fabric and covered them back up. I didn't want to see them. It was a reminder of the day I let myself fail. I shut the drawer not wanting to think on it anymore than I already had.

"Uh, Val?" I heard Bucky yell from downstairs.

"I'm coming Bucky!" I said a little annoyed because it's not like we were meeting the Queen.

"You might want to come see this." He said sounding worried.

I shut off the light and closed the door and went down the stairs to see what he was getting on about. I walked through the house and out the front door to see Bucky just standing there still. I came out and looked at him but his eyes were focused in our driveway.

I stood frozen looking at Nat, Steve, and a man I didn't recognize getting out of their car.