2

(edited  - 800 words added)

I can't believe it's another failure, damn it.

I put aside my failed test and drop my head on top of the counter, arms stretched around it in annoyance.

I've been on this for weeks now, that particular smell on my mind, but no matter what I do, I can't achieve it. The smell either turns bitter or just plain gross and I don't know what to do anymore.

My budget tells me I can't afford to work on this for much longer, but I just can't get rid of it. That's a scent no one has really tried to achieve before and I want to be the one to do it. No, I need to be the one to do it, I have to.

I pull myself up with a grunt and grab the flasks to empty and clean in the sink, a sigh leaving me once more.

When my parents died in a car accident when I was young, my grandmother was the one who took over raising me, she was always by my side.

It wasn't easy for her, she was all alone to take care of a young teen and she even had to go as far as to get a new job to provide for my needs, something I feel really bad about. She worked hard for my parents, she shouldn't have had to start over for me, yet she never complained, she always smiled at me and hugged me tight when I felt sad.

Whenever I think of her, there's that scent that comes to mind. Not one that I could smell off her, it's just a smell that comes alive when I think of all the love I have for her.

Even after all those years, it's never changed, I think I'll grow crazy if I can't make it into reality.

I look at the time on my phone, wondering how much I have left before needing to leave but what I see has me gasping in shock.

It's almost time to leave for class and I haven't even gotten started on cleaning up yet, shit!

Tsking my way through the task at hand, I quickly wipe the surfaces I used and once satisfied with the bare minimum, I rush to my car just in time and start up the engine before driving out of my private parking lot.

I had to add warnings because people apparently just can't take the hint, something that annoys me greatly. This is my private property, yet they always think they can use it as they please anyway. This is going to cause me problems one day, I can just feel it.

As I drive to school, I think back to Jimin, the bird hybrid.

An eagle.

I haven't met too many birds in my life, I'm not sure why, but eagles are known to be particularly rare among others.

I'm glad he ended up being adopted by someone great. The respect he has for that Jin, how he considers him more like a brother than an owner enough to let me know that Jimin is happy where he is, well taken care of.

Before the bullying started, I used to have a few hybrid friends. When the subject would come around, they would speak of their adoptive family with tight smiles, but I could see it even though they'd try to hide the truth as much as possible, the few bruises I could find on them didn't need words.

They weren't in happy families, most of them abused, which still makes no sense to this day because in my eyes, they were so sweet and quiet.

It's no wonder they started getting mean and took the bullies path, no matter what they did, they were never right anyway.

Luckily for them, it's now becoming slowly more legal for hybrids to own themselves, to be free, but it's not a popular concept, it will take time to fully adopt.

Hybrids grow up being told that they need humans to be safe, to avoid their race being turned against themselves, why would it change in a single day?

We live in a world filled with anger, sadness and hurt, where people try to control anything they can, as if doing so would make their life better. It only makes us more pitiful in the end.