𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

Start from the beginning

"Well," Rey turns to walk backward down the cracked sidewalk she could walk in her sleep. She raises an eyebrow at the spastic boy, a permanent smile blossoming on her face – planted by the boy in front of her and watered for as long as she could remember. "That's because you're a shit liar."

"Oh ha ha," he rebuts sarcastically, opening the passenger door of Roscoe, revealing Scott McCall clad in a maroon sweatshirt with his inhaler trapped in his fist.

All it took for him to clumsily roll into the back was a look from Rey and a simple demand of "backseat", which was of course expected as that was the routine any time she rode in the jeep. As Stiles slams the door closed (just enough for it to latch, but not hard enough for it to spring back open), Rey turns towards the back to face Scott. "Well, if it isn't Scaredy Cat Scotty on a body hunt."

Scott's brown eyes roll, a smile etched onto his face. You pee your pants at one haunted house when you're eleven and suddenly your nickname for life is Scaredy Cat Scotty. "I shoulda known that you'd be skipping out here to see a body like a psycho."

If there's one thing that every Beacon Hills resident knows for certain, it's that Aubrey Willow Hart loves a mystery. Rey's wrapped up tightly in the world of mystery-solving from trying to decode the Zodiac Killer ciphers to attempting to prove the existence of Bigfoot and the Moth Man. No one really knows why she has such an obsession with becoming Beacon Hill's own Nancy Drew – not even Rey Hart herself.

But maybe it's because her whole life is clouded in a shroud of mystery from the sudden death of her mother to the scratched-out faces in her mother's photo albums.

"We're seriously doing this?" Scott asks as we walk towards the BEACON HILLS PRESERVE sign that is supposed to stop anyone from entering (yeah, right). The only other sounds around us are the crunching of leaves and rocks underfoot and the January wind that sweeps over the tops of the trees.

"Well, yeah," Rey huffs out, stepping over the chain with help from Stiles, "what did you think we're going body hunting in the woods meant?"

"And you're the one always bitching about how nothing ever happens in this town," Stiles reminds him with a pointed finger in his direction as Stiles and Rey walk deeper into the trees, the flashlight from Rey's pocket flickering to life because of course Stiles forgot a flashlight.

Scott cautiously steps over the chain separating the preserve from the rest of the town, his eyes darting around like he's going to be tackled and arrested at that moment before catching up with his friends and justifying his lack of wanting to search for a dead body with "I was trying to get a good night sleep before practice tomorrow...". His sentence trailing off as he steps over branches and roots, trying to keep up with Rey and Stiles who seem pretty fucking eager to discover half of a dead body. In the woods. In the middle of the night.