Chapter 3-3: Freedom On A Desert Island

Start from the beginning

"You came here because of that? Most people would view it as a downside." I replied in confusion.

"They would. But for Shiro and I, it was what sealed our decision to enrol." Sora spoke in a manner which convinced me he was telling no lie.

What kind of situation would cause a person to purposefully choose to enrol somewhere they would be isolated from the rest of the society? I found myself at a loss.

"How about you, Light? What was your primary motivation?"

"My whole life, I've lived for the purpose of meeting expectations. Always expected to be top of my class, always expected to be the best at sports. My coming to this school was no different." I answered with a sombre sigh.

"You've lived permanently weighed down by expectations? And you always met them?"

"That's right. I've always lived up to the expectations set on me, because there was nothing else for me to do. I found everything dull and boring, just doing those mundane things every day."

"I see... I understand now, why you came to this school," Sora said.

"You do?" I asked in interest.

"I do," he replied, locking eyes with me. "What you crave more than anything is a challenge. Something to liven up your dull, mundane life. You thought you could find that here."

"Hmm... Yes... You may be right. In fact, I've wanted nothing more than a rival I can truly battle with evenly using the full extent of my ability. Someone who could match me, and add colour to my grey world. How did you figure it out?"

"How did I figure it out?" Sora laughed. "It's because Shiro and I have been searching for the exact same thing."

A pair of shut-ins, who have allegedly never lost at anything before. While not exactly comparable to me, I noticed some similarities between Blank and I. We were both far too acquainted with success.

"I wonder if we'll find people like that at this school." I ponded out loud.

"I think it'll be amazing if we all get to fight each other someday." Sora said enthusiastically.

"But we're classmates."

"That might not be a problem. Who knows what kind of special exams the school has in store for us? There might be one where you can partner up with anyone you like!"

A special exam that I can put my all into, and still struggle in? That certainly sounds wonderful. For me, who has never struggled at anything before, it sounded like an ideal challenge.

"An exam where we can compete, huh. That does sound nice." I said.

Another silence ensued as Sora and I enjoyed the gentle atmosphere. I thought about asking him what he was doing out here, but decided against the idea. Instead, I noted the time.

"Everyone will be waking up in a few hours. We should get back to sleep."

"Yeah. I wouldn't want Shiro to wake up without me next to her, after all."

Sora and I walked back to the cave, turning our backs to the sun, and leaving it behind. I climbed back into my bundle of leaves, hoping to be well-rested enough to face the trials the day would throw at us.

△▼△▼△▼△

Ayanokōji's POV

"So, anyone got any plans for today?"

Lelouch asked the group. We were sitting around the same logs we were on before, except this time the fire wasn't lit. The weather was already sweltering enough.