Four

Me and Hanami were lying on all fours on her queen size bed in her humble home and watching a movie in Netflix when her mom barged in on us

"Yūshoku no jikan, on'nanoko. (Dinner time, girls.)" Her mom, Ayako, said and Hanami immediately paused and turned off the television.

Ayako cooked us several dishes which became my favorite upon stepping foot in Japan.

She has prepared us gohan, miso shiro, pickled vegetables and meat.

Miso made me miss home, especially my mom.

We were enjoying our food when her dad, Kenji, and her older brother, Katashi, came from their main door.

Her mom immediately took off their coats and have them hung on their coat rack.

They joined us for dinner and it was Ayako who broke the ice.

"15-Nen hodo mae ni kodomo o nakushita tōji no yūmeina geijutsuka ni tsuite kiita koto ga arimasu ka? (Have you heard about the then-famous artist who lost their child about fifteen years ago?)" Her mom asked and both Katashi and Hanami looked at her in intrigue.

Me, feeling out-of-place, busied myself with food.

"Hikari to nōshinkei gekai no otto no kotodeshita ka? (Was it about Hikari and her neurosurgeon husband?)" Her dad asked back and her mom nodded and continued eating.

"E e watashi no nakama no gekai to isha wa saikin kanojo ni tsuite hanashite iru. (Yeah. My fellow surgeons and doctors have been talking about her lately.)" Her dad answered and drank his water.

"Shokuba no dōryōde sae, kanojo to kanojo no kazoku ni tsuite hanashimashita. Kanojo wa son'nani yūmeideshita ka? (Even my colleagues at work talked about her and her family. Was she that famous?)" Katashi added.

Both their parents nodded and I slowly looked up and waited for their response.

Just as they were about to open their mouths, their television seemed to know what they were talking about as a news flash appeared on the screen.

Katashi stood up and got the remote to increase the volume.

Both of their parents stopped eating for a while and watched the news.

"In other news, former artist Hikari Matsumoto and her neurosurgeon husband, Atsushi, was asking the help of the public if they have seen their child who got separated from them about fifteen years ago in an accident on the train bound for Nagoya."

In curiosity of who the big news was, I stood up too and watched with them.

And there, on their big television screen, faces of Hikari and Atsushi Matsumoto were shown on the screen.

I felt this searing jolt in my heart and I did not know what happened and a tear rolled down my cheek.

Hikari's forlorn and longing face was focused on the screen while his husband, caressed her arm.

They were being interviewed by a showbiz reporter inside their humble abode.

And from what I can see, their family is well-off.

Is it just me or I just missed my parents that much to feel this feeling for these two who lost their child?