The Lost Planet - Attack

Start from the beginning

Hands on his knees as he got his breath back, Carver felt exhilarated. Killing monsters was more to his taste than killing humans, much as though he thought the rebels deserved it. 

He hadn't believed Kelior when she told him that the last time her people fought against others of their race was several generations ago. Could it possibly be true that these people had progressed beyond war? To the tragic contrast of his own species which was still fighting at this very moment, with no end in sight. He struggled to remember - had there ever been a peace on his world, which lasted for more than a year or two? 

"So what has made the Bursas into a threat?" Carver asked. "I presume they are native to this part of Ko'sstahn?" 

"There have always been one or two roaming in this area, but nothing like the numbers we see now. Usually they live on the plains far to the west. But our herders say there has been less rain than usual for the last few years, and the Bursas have come closer, seeking food. They are carnivores."  

"And they have discovered people are food?" 

"Yes. Unfortunately." Kelior looked around at the houses, all in darkness. The only light came from the stars and four burning flares on top of the palace roof. "It's no longer safe to be up here at night time - we should go back down to the lower levels. Besides, the Princess will be waiting." 

She walked across to a small wooden door set in the Palace wall, with a tiny bell attached by a rope. But before she could ring, there was a sound of pounding feet -getting louder by the second.  

Carver peered down the street and saw a wave of black-green monsters swarming towards them. "Looks like they weren't running away after all," he said. "They went to get reinforcements!" 

Carver swung the sword and beheaded the leader, even as Kelior fired arrows into the pack, one after the other as fast as she could. But there were too many. Carver's dust-red body armour protected him from teeth and claws but Kelior was not so lucky. He saw her disappear underneath one of the Bursa, its claws scrabbling to rip open her stomach.  

Hastily, he hauled Kelior out from underneath, slung his arm around her waist and used his gravity boots to raise them rapidly up to the Palace roof. "There must be a hundred of them," he marvelled. 

If only the photon gun on his back was armed and not a dummy. He could have mown them down in seconds. 

"There are too many for the two of us to tackle head on," said Carver. Then he realised Kelior was standing where he had left her on the roof, still in shock. "Kelior? What about fire? Are they afraid of fire?" 

"I-I don't know," she stuttered. "How did you-?"  

"Most animals are afraid of fire," said Carver, grabbing one of the flares as he spoke. He flung it like a javelin right into the middle of the pack. It struck one of the Bursas through the throat and it fell to the ground thrashing in agony. Blood and green ichor spurted out, spraying its companions. Carver had no idea what the ichor was made of, but wherever the flames came in contact with the ichor, they flared more brightly. Screams and squeals filled the air as the Bursas tried to escape from the flames, trampling some of the smaller creatures in their panic. 

Carver grabbed another flare and threw it, aiming for the largest Bursa he could see. He hoped it was the leader. The flare speared it through the chest and it fell heavily, knocking over several others and scattering more fire. Its acid green eyes glared up at Carver before it disappeared beneath the pack. 

"Can you get any more flares?" Carver shouted to Kelior. He could see some of the Bursas trying to leap up the walls to reach the Palace roof. He took hold of the remaining flare and flung it into the pack. If only he had another dozen or so flares, he thought he could turn the tide. He hoped, if he killed enough monsters, the others might decide to move on and seek food elsewhere.  

"There are more flares in the storeroom. Can you keep the Bursas off while I get them?' 

"I'll do my best," said Carver, slicing off the head of a Bursa which poked up above the rampart. "Be as quick as you can." 

Carver fell into a sort of dance rhythm. Slicing and slashing, stepping back and forth as the heads reared above the rampart walls. He lost count of how many of the monsters he despatched before the Palace door opened behind him and a small group of armsmen emerged, all carrying unlit flares. Kelior was last through, bearing a bucket full of burning coals. The armsmen, male and female, lined up to plunge their flares into the bucket, looking anxiously at the Bursa heads bobbing over the rampart. The sound of claws scratching on brick and the screams of wounded Bursa filled the night. 

As if the smell of people so close inflamed them, a group of Bursas gathered themselves and plunged over the rampart together, scattering the armsmen in all directions. 

"Light the flares!" screamed Kelior. 

Carver slashed, fighting to keep the Bursas at bay, when he slipped in a pool of blood and his feet went out from under him. In seconds he was overrun. The last thing he heard was the Bursa on top of him scream as the fiery flare plunged into its side, but by then it was too late.