As more people walked in she pulled me into her small office space handing me a red bag. I looked down at it before opening it. As I pulled out the gift a silver necklace sat in my hands, "I can't accept this," I shook my head.

Laurie smiled shaking her head, "You deserve it," she didn't leave any room for argument.

"Thank you so much," I hugged her.

"Of course."

After quickly putting the gift in my car I went on with my shift. Luckily for me the flow of people was slow meaning I didn't have to do much.

I stood behind the cash register bored staring at the wall, a group of opossums is called a passel.

Opossums have a bad reputation, sure they look terrifying in most videos but in pictures they look like little marshmallows. Plus they're less likely to carry rabies.

Do they sell pet opossums?

That doesn't sound very legal.

My phone dinged making me glance down.

Ara🌝😈: SOS can you come to my house?

Me: Yeah ofc what happened ??

Ara🌝😈: I'll tell you when u get here

I tucked my phone in my pocket before quickly making my way to Laurie explained it was an emergency. She let me off and I sped to Ara's house. 

She better not be dead when I get there.

As I stopped at four red lights in a row I mentally cursed the universe. After a mentally challenging car ride I was finally at her house.

I rushed up to the steps knocking on her door, she opened it with a smile, "What happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she said hugging me, "Happy birthday."

I shook my head smiling at her, "Why did you really want me to come here?"

"To celebrate your birthday of course and yes I'm fully aware you had work today, but working on your birthday sounds terrible."

She grabbed my hand tugging me inside where streamers and food decorated the kitchen, "Has anyone ever told you that you're amazing?"

Ara shrugged, "About every other day," she pulled out a mini blowtorch, "I don't own a lighter or matches."

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"Are you serious?" I asked taking another bite of cake.

She nodded, "She didn't even say sorry. You would think someone's first instinct when they run over your foot would be to apologize but not her," Ara raised her eyebrow, "Your turn for worst date story."

"I was sixteen," I started, "He ordered the most expensive dish on the menu got four refills along with desert then proceeded to leave me with the bill, after escaping as I went to the bathroom to get away from him for two minutes."

Ara laughed, "How much was the bill?"

"Somewhere around two or three hundred dollars. I had to use my whole paycheck and a little extra to pay for it. He's lucky I got paid the day before."