Epilogue II - Unwanted Flashbacks

Start from the beginning

"Good weather." He insisted, stopping right by me. His dark eyes moved over my form. "Long day?"

"You could say that."

"Did I mention I like your work uniform?"

"It came up."

"Of course, it did." A second voice cut in. It had a slight echo in it as Mike's vessel formed in my living room. "The demon never fails to compliment you."

Lou turned to face the source of the warm gust. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"It's not an endorsement of your characters. Or lack thereof." Sharp blue eyes turned to me on the floor. "Long day?"

"You could say that." I repeated.

Lou's eyes turned back to me, a frown on his face at hearing the same regurgitated words. "Huh."

Mike glanced over his shoulder. "Not sitting at the counter today?"

"No." I turned my back to them as I returned to admiring the night view. "I like sitting here."

"Why don't you use the armchairs literally placed right there?"

"The carpet is better." I patted the spot beside me absently. "Those chairs aren't as comfortable as they look."

Lou sighed loudly beside me. His boots appeared in my periphery before he lowered himself to the floor beside me. "Any place is good for me as long as you're there."

My reply to the direct flirt was almost involuntary. "If we're talking general vicinity, I'm sure the counter is calling your name."

Lou snickered. He leaned in, making me throw him a glare. "Don't be like that, Ryleigh. You like me."

Mike spoke up. "She only tolerates you."

Despite the repeated banter, I laughed to myself. My head turned to look at Mike as he sat down too. The city lights always looked good on him.

"I've been here longer, feathers. She likes me more than you."

"Then why not hear it from the horse's mouth?"

I shrugged. My eyes turned to stare straight ahead and ignore the two sets of eyes on me. "I don't like being called a horse."

"Ah, my apologies." Mike said. I raised an eyebrow as surprise crossed through me. "Horses are majestic creatures."

It took my brain a few moments to make the connection. In the silence, I heard Lou stifle a snicker as it slowly dawned on me. I frowned. "At the moment, I like Lou more than I like you."

"Told you." Lou snickered. I turned my frown towards him as he placed an arm around my shoulders. "Now, what are we drinking tonight, babe?"

I searched his face. The city lights really brought out his cheekbones. Highlighted that smirk that had landed me in trouble the first day he'd walked into my old bar.

I sighed as I shrugged off his arm. "Here." I held out my glass. "Get your own glasses. There's a jug of this on the counter."

Lou took it from my hand. His fingers deliberately brushed against mine. "Looks good."

"It's kind of off-putting considering it's the same colour as the demon's eyes." Disgust was apparent in Mike's voice.

I chuckled at that as I looked at him sideways. "It's just blackberries. Can you get the glasses and the jug?"