Chapter Nine - Ice Cream, No Date

Start from the beginning

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's supposed to mean that you romanticize all these relationships. Aaron was an ass to you the majority of the time but he'd pick up the ice cream that you asked him to and you thought he was your knight in shining armor. You let people treat you a certain way because you don't think you deserve better. You let your mom talk down to you and mock your future job and your clothes because you think she has a right to. She doesn't. Aaron doesn't. No one does." Avery's phone dinged again.

I thought about what she was saying. Aaron wasn't a perfect boyfriend, but he was good to me for the most part. He listened most of the time and he was never awful to me. Sure, we had our problems, but who didn't? I thought back to those times that we hung out on the couch together and it was true that I had to nag him to sit with me or spend time with just the two of us, but we made the time in the end, until he cheated that is. "Is that Nathan?" I asked.

"He wants to meet up with me," she replied typing away on her phone.

"You should go." I jumped up and smoothed out my short shorts.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Avery asked skeptically.

"Of course. Go make out with your boyfriend. Tell him you love him again." I teased.

She sighed dreamily. "I'll check in with you later," She chirped as she walked out of my bedroom.

I tidied my room after she left, spending time dusting out the tops of the trim at the edges of my room. If I saw myself dusting the trims of my room on a Saturday afternoon, I'd feel an abundant amount of pity for myself. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone.

Olivia: What are you up to?

I threw my phone onto my bed and huffed. He probably wouldn't reply. I wouldn't expect him to. My phone dinged and I leaped across my bed for it excitedly, my heart thumping in my chest. Dr. Alexander flashed on my screen.

Alexander: Forever sketching. You?

Olivia: Contemplating ice cream to combat the boredom.

Alexander: I'm down.

Olivia: What about your sketching?

Alexander: It can wait.

I grinned giddily as I ran down the stairs and walked out the door, beginning the short walk to the ice cream shop. There would be no way Aaron would be there. He only ever got ice cream for me when I begged him to and everyone else in the group was too carb conscious to walk into an ice cream store. I opened the door to the ice cream shop and I leaned against the glass counter glancing at the different flavors.

"Olivia, hey." Aaron's voice rang loud and true. I froze in my spot. There he stood in front of me, a pint of ice cream in his hands. Aaron hated chocolate, yet there he was with a tub of rocky road.

"Hi," I squeaked desperately wishing I could evaporate from where I stood.

"Of course you're getting ice cream," He grinned at me.

"What are you doing here? You hate ice cream." My heart clenched in anticipation.

"It's for uh-Heather," He mumbled at me.

I nodded, "That's great!" This would be my burial spot. I'd die here. I couldn't escape from this.

"Are you dating now?" He asked me, frowning in my direction.

"Um-" I began just as I heard the rev of an engine. I didn't think I'd ever be happier to hear that noise in my life. I wanted to run out and kiss that god-awful bike. The bell chimed and in walked Alexander looking concerned.

He walked over to me and swung his arm over my shoulder. I just stood there, shocked at Alexander, dreading Aaron's reaction. My heart thumped.

"Hey baby," Alexander drawled pulling me into his side, "Sorry, I took so long."

"Ah- I," All I could do was stutter. I had no words.

"Well, I guess you got over us quickly, eh, Olivia?" Aaron lashed out before turning on his heel and walking out.

I twisted to look at Alexander, frowning at him. I pulled away from his arm and put space between us. "What the hell was that?"

He lifted an eyebrow, "I'm pretty sure that was a rescue."

"A rescue! Aaron was so upset."

"So what, Olivia?" Alexander asked me. I knew he was goading me on. I knew he wanted me to tell him off. So instead I just walked out of the store. I heard Alexander's steps behind me. "Say what you're feeling, Olivia! Just fucking shout it."

I turned around abruptly to glare at him, "That's not who I am, Alexander."

"See, I don't think that's true. I think you're desperate to say something - anything. I'm sorry if you weren't happy with how that went down but Aaron doesn't deserve any of your kindness. He's a fucking asshole and you deserve so much better."

"You don't know me, Alexander!" I fumed at him. My chest was heaving from anger at this point.

"I think I'm beginning to." He said quietly. He reached out to touch my waist, "And I'm sorry I upset you."

My heart was still thumping with anger, but my demeanor softened at his words. "You shouldn't have done that."

"I'm sorry," He repeated sincerely.

I sighed and looked away, "I suppose that could have gone worse." I admitted remembering Aaron's face, red with anger. I got a little pleasure from that look.

"There you go," Alexander grinned. "I'll wait for that thank you," he winked at me.

I rolled my eyes at him, "Sorry I freaked out at you." I still had to remind myself that Aaron didn't have a right to get upset. That he wasn't mine to worry about anymore. It would just take time.

"I was promised an ice cream date though,"

I laughed, "ice cream, no date."

"We'll work out the details later."