xxiv. reunions and riots

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Miss Stasiaj," He sprinted away, as Stasiaj boosted herself up and onto the cobbles of the street. Rushing down the alley, Stasiaj headed out and onto the main street of the bridge, trying to keep her pace slow. But the worry in her chest was building and all she could think of was Malkus, Kaz and Inej, who were on this street unaware of what was going to happen.

There was a moment of silence, before the bomb exploded to the left of her. Stasiaj went slamming into the floor, her ears ringing as her vision swam in front of her. For a moment, she was stunned, but Stasiaj looked up again and spotted Malkus.

"Malkus!" The boy turned, before running for her, curling into her side as he found her. "Good boy. Let's go!"

She grabbed his hand, pulling him with her and hoping that Kaz and Inej were following along behind her. Turning the corner, Stasiaj glanced behind her briefly, at the Shu soldiers with wings of metal that were swooping around, before pulling the manhole cover open and dropping down.

They left it open, as Stasiaj checked Malkus over for scratches from shrapnel, and a few seconds later, two other figures dropped down. Stasiaj looked up as they shed their cloaks, before sighing in relief and ignoring her own injuries in favour of hugging the Wraith.

"Inej!" Stasiaj cried, flinging herself onto the Suli girl and hugging her tightly, as Inej returned it. "Oh, saints, I'm so sorry!"

"Stasiaj," Inej's arms wrapped around Stasiaj, clinging to her tightly with everything that the Wraith had.

"I'm so glad you're alright," Stasiaj pulled away, tears in her eyes, as she laughed with Inej. Brushing strands from her face, Stasiaj sent the girl the same smile that she used with the children. "You're back now."

"I don't even know where we are," The girl replied, wiping tears from her eyes as she looked around in confusion.

"You're in my den," Stasiaj replied, wrapping an arm around the girl's shoulders as she shot another thankful look at Kaz. "We'll get you home and get a warm meal in you."

"Thank you,"

When they had returned, the other five had been waiting, rushing to wrap Inej in tight hugs as Kaz limped to Stasiaj's side.

"You're not going to ask me how I am, Princess," Stasiaj blushed, but it was hidden by the dark light of the basement. Turning, she smirked up at him.

"You have the survival ability of a cockroach, Crow Man," Kaz huffed, rolling his eyes at her description. "and my fangs were with you. They'd keep you safe."

"How?"

"I kissed them for good luck and now my good luck goes with you," Stasiaj replied, smiling at him before joining the others. "Food is in the dining room and then we can discuss what has happened today."

Jesper didn't need to be told twice, sprinting for the stairs as Stasiaj joined Nina and Inej, hooking her arm through theirs.

"Come on, weaklings, let's get you fed," Stasiaj teased gently, as both girls glared at her. "I'm trembling."

"Stasiaj, stop annoying them," Matthias prodded the smaller girl as he went past, causing the girl to stick her tongue out as the four headed up into the dining room, Kaz following behind, rolling his eyes all the while. Though, even he could not hide the small grin on his face.

Stasiaj, once again, took the head of the table as Jesper placed food in front of her, and Kaz was quick to take the seat to her right, leaning his crow cane against the table. Inej beamed at the sight of the food, practically inhaling her first serving as Jesper placed it down in front of her.