"You're no fucking picnic either. " he stormed off, shouldering past the throng of people, pushing the front door open and slamming it shut as he passed.

I stared after him. I'd never seen him angry before and now that I had, well, I was shocked. He'd only ever been playful with me.

Putting one hand around Omar, we walked slowly out of the pool house. He threw his right hand around my shoulder and a feeling of nostalgia gripped me as I remembered all the times we'd walk just like this. Down in the streets, in school, and on church grounds whenever we got tired of the preacher's long sermons. Granted, he was seriously drunk, I didn't know how he had come to attend this party and I had no idea what I was going to do with him now, but I was grateful I'd found him —or the other way round— amidst all the hundreds of people in there.

I saw Axel standing outside when we finally got out. What was he still doing here? He was resting on a black car with his head down and he had his hands shoved into his pockets. His head came up when he heard our foot steps. He rushed towards me as soon as he saw that I was struggling with Omar, who had dumped his entire weight on me. I was practically carrying him.

Omar's weight was finally taken off my shoulders and I sighed as I massaged the aching muscles in my neck.

We didn't say a single word as Axel helped Omar across and into the car he'd been leaning on. It was obviously his. I didn't object because I knew there was nowhere else for him to sit and standing when he was almost passed out wasn't a good idea.

"Come into the car with me? " he asked when he stood beside me.

"Why? " I had my eyes on the door to the house, wondering what Laura was up to. Speaking of, I needed to call her. Looking for her wasn't an option.

"It's cold out here. "

His voice was softer now. Even softer than usual. He wanted to apologize, I knew it. My stare shifted to the car. I had to go in anyway, Omar was in there.

I could tell myself that Omar was the only reason I was settling back in the plush leather seat of Axel's car, but I would be lying. I turned in my seat to check on Omar and saw him sprawled on the back seat, his eyes closed in sleep. He looked so innocent and peaceful that my heart ached.

I miss you.

As I righted myself, facing forward, I caught Axel's eyes on me and I looked away. I thought I heard him sigh.

"I'm sorry I went off like that in there. "

I ignored him.

"Eva? "

Silence.

"I said I'm sorry for speaking to you the way I did. "

"Why did you? " I frowned, remembering I had been willing to put up with his anger because I had wanted something from him as well. To help me with Omar.

His head fell back on the headrest. "I..... " he trailed off, sighing. "I don't know. I just kind of lost it when I saw you hug him. "

He hugged me, I wanted to say but I stopped myself. It was Omar. I didn't have to justify anything.

"Why? " I asked instead. "You shouldn't care. "