Chapter 7 - A new perspective

(the picture on top is Joel)

Adam's best mate, Joel Smith, was the middle child of three triplets. Adam and Joel were the same age. They met in the church when Joel moved to Sydney to study in college. Because of their strong friendship, their mothers also created a bond and became great friends. Dorcas was so precious to Molly that she organized a memorial service in Adam's cabin. The Smiths lived in Melbourne, but they were in Sydney to attend that beautiful and meaningful ceremony.

The remaining Smiths arrived earlier at that service on Sunday. They were all dressed in black in mourning. Moses - the father - sat in one of the rows in the middle of the auditorium, followed by Benjamin - the eldest -, Joel, and Miriam - the youngest and only girl among them.

As soon as Joel was settled, he moved around looking for the girl Adam had told him about, but he found no one; it was hard because the auditorium was big and crowded. However, Debora was there, sitting in one of the rows in front of the stage. She was supposed to be singing on stage already. But the whole situation with Adam was still troubling her, and her heart wasn't in the right place. She needed time. Adam respected that decision, even though she didn't give him any details.

Those were struggling times, but they produced maturity and perseverance in her. The Holy Spirit taught her about mercy and forgiveness on a level that she hadn't known. One of the main things she finally grasped was that we are all prone to fail. Therefore we should always apply the mercy God has for us every morning onto those around us. Mistakes are so much easier to handle when we realize that they often happen in all sorts and forms.

Debora decided to forgive Adam, even without his apology. It became clear to her that his role was to break down her walls. That revelation, however, was hard to accept because all she wanted was mundane romance. She comprehended that she needed to let go of Adam and commit that emotional part of her life - that had been shut for many years - to God.

One of the songs during the time of praise and worship referred to that commitment. Debora prayed that song and committed to God, and it was as if a heavy load had left her. She felt the refreshing power of the Holy Spirit and was assured that a new season had started.

When the service ended, Joel rushed to the stage to surprise his best friend that talked to James.

"Ade!" Joel called.

Adam turned around, and when he saw his mate, his face lit up. He excused himself from James and gave Joel a heartfelt hug.

"Mate! You're here!" Adam beamed.

Joel nodded.

"Is the rest of the family here too?" The worship leader asked.

"Yes, my father, Ben, and Mim are here."

"Wow, Mim looks nice in a dress." Adam giggled.

"Yeah, the tomboy decided to wear a dress for the occasion."

"I'm so sorry, Joel!" Adam looked down. "Sorry for your loss."

"Our loss." Joel smiled sympathetically, and quickly shook it off, and changed the subject. "So, besides that how are you doing?"

"I'm doing."

"What do you mean?" Joel eyed him with suspicion.

"This worship leading is hardcore."

"Yeah, but, hey Ade, you've got the gift for this." He encouraged. "Worship today was amazing. I'm sure everyone, just as I, felt the presence of God; it was like tangible, you know?"

"Oh, Joel," Adam smiled at him, feeling encouraged. "You really are the best of friends."

Joel grinned; he was one of those people who could take compliments lightheartedly.