Happy

August 10th. Peter double checked his phone on his bedside table, just to make sure it was really his birthday.

As if he was 19 years old today.

As if he was off to college next week.

It was 7am, and Peter could already hear hushed voices outside his bedroom. He could almost feel May tiptoeing outside the door, hear the crackling of wrapping paper, the ruffling, the whispering-

Happy would be awake helping May get the 'surprise' together, Peter thought. He thought about Happy and May staying up late in their bedroom, blowing up balloons, frantically filling out birthday cards. They'd laugh a lot, Peter thought. May would get bored and Happy would tell her one of his stories about his life in Germany.

Peter thought about the first day Happy introduced himself. He was out eating Thai with May. And May hadn't mentioned that they'd be having company. She had been checking her phone, and looking all nervous. So Peter had known something was up.

"Peter, there's someone I'd like you to meet." May had said.

"So great to finally meet you Peter." The man in a suit had said. "Call me Happy."

Happy's real name was Harold. But ironically, he made May very Happy. And he kind of came into Peter's life at a very crucial moment. He was there in Peter's room when Peter had found out he had gotten into UC Berkeley. He was at Peter's last physics decathlon, where Peter led the team and Midtown Tech came 1st place. He took pictures of Peter and Maya at senior prom (just after their breakup). Maya was a trooper for coming to prom. He was at Peter's graduation when Peter graduated as valedictorian, and gave a speech that Happy helped write.

May had met Happy at yoga class, believe it or not. Happy was the only guy in her Saturday morning yoga session, and that's just the type of guy you should make your boyfriend, Peter thought. It was now hard to imagine a time when Happy wasn't there. May was doing fantastically at her new job and Happy owned a successful car dealership.

Peter remembered how when he had found out he got into Berkeley, his dream school, his heart had kind of sank.

"There's no way we can afford it." Peter had said. "Even with the financial aid. Moving across the country? It's insane."

"Peter. You're gonna go wherever you want to go for college." Happy had said. "I promise you, your Aunt and I will do everything in our power to make this possible for you."

Happy was the closest thing Peter had to a Dad since he was four years old.

When Peter heard footsteps outside coming closer, he closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep like a little kid. Soon enough, the door opened and his bedroom lights flickered on.

"Happy Birthdaaaay tooo youuu." May and Happy Sang. "Happy Birthdaaay tooo youuu."

Peter sat up tiredly, but a smile immediately broke out on his face. May was carrying a cake with several lit candles on it. Happy was holding a stack of presents and cards in his arms.

'Happy Birthday Tiger' was spelt out in beautiful, orange, buttercream icing.

Peter laughed as Happy obnoxiously bellowed out the rest of the birthday song. He was wearing his 'Dad-glasses' as May called them, as well as a T-shirt that said 'I heart Berlin' and some baggy shorts. In a silk pink nightdress and her auburn hair falling past her shoulders, May resembled a fairy, Peter thought.

When the song was finally over, May placed the cake down on Peter's bedside table.

"Make a wish, Peter." May said, sitting on the edge of Peter's bed.