Chapter 17 - Peaceful yet Chaotic

Start from the beginning

You glanced at his hair. It looked really soft, so you kind of wanted to touch it. You reached out and touched his hair. Scaramouche seemed a little surprised, which made you laugh, "Who does your hair?"

He scowled, "It wasn't my idea okay?? That stupid red head did it. I shouldn't have let him."

"It suits you," you smiled at him. Usually, it would be a strange hair style, but somehow it suited him.

Scaramouche's cheeks turned pink. You were very proud of yourself for being able to make him embarrassed.

"So Childe is actually your co-worker, huh?"

He rolled his eyes, "I guess so. Don't ever talk to him. He's a no-good scumbag who doesn't deserve to even be in your presence."

You laughed at how cutely possessive he was, "I'm not some sort of god you know."

"You're right," Scaramouche smiled, "You're more like an angel."

"Eh-" it definitely caught you off guard. Is that how he actually felt, or was he just humoring you? Did he really see you as an angel that came down to save him? The thought of it made you a little sad and sympathetic.

He turned his body to you, "You don't have any commissions to do today right?"

You didn't like where this was going, "No.. why?"

Scaramouche gently pulled you towards him, embracing you in yet another hug. It felt warm. You felt secure, despite him technically being the enemy.

"Can we stay like this for a while..?" He asked. The tone in his voice told you how sad he was.

"Sure," you agreed, happily wrapping your arms around him.

Not even a minute later, there was a knock on your front door.

You could feel the aura in the room grow dark as you turned to Scaramouche, who had a huge scowl on his face. You stood up, holding him back from doing anything rash. You found it cute how mad he was that you were interrupted.

As you opened the door, making sure Scaramouche wasn't visible, there was Aether. Shoot. You forgot you'd been ignoring him.

"Y/N! Thank goodness! Paimon and I have been worried.." he said, looking at you with saddened eyes.

Paimon appeared from behind him, "Why didn't you answer us??"

"U-Uhm, I'm sorry. I've been busy-" you started.

Aether put his hand on the door, "May we come in? I'd like to speak with you about something."

"Uhm.." you turned back to see Scaramouche who was grabbing his hat, throwing his hands in the air and walking into your room where he wouldn't be seen, almost like he was hesitantly going along. You turned back to your guests, "Sure."

♢♢♢

As you were standing around the table, Aether put his hands together, "I'm really sorry about what happened! I know I hurt you from what I said but I really just didn't want you to get hurt on that Fatui's behalf!"

"Yeah me too!" Paimon chipped in.

You smiled, "I know.. thank you guys."

"You're not.. upset?" He looked up at you.

You sighed, "I understand why you did it, I would've done the same to protect someone I cared about."

Suddenly, you heard a thump, it wasn't too loud but loud enough so it could be heard.

Paimon tilted her head, "W-What was that?!"

"Uhh, my cat! I got a cat to keep me company. I'll go check on it!" You frantically ran into your room and closed the door.

You walked in just to see Scaramouche sitting on your bed, his hat in the floor. He moved his hand over his mouth, "Woops, seems I dropped my hat. What a shame.. Did I scare your little friends?"

You scowled at him. He did that on purpose! He's trying to get caught!

"You little-" you clenched your fists.

"Y/N? Everything okay in there?" Aether called out.

You sighed, "Yes! One moment!" You walked up to Scaramouche, folding your arms, "Are you a child??"

Scaramouche smirked, like he was proud of himself. You groaned, "If you keep this up, I'm kicking you out."

"Oh~ so we are already living together are we? Wow, we're moving so fast!"

You felt pure dread. You wanted to strangle him, but you had to keep your cool. He really liked to make your life miserable didn't he? Of course, he just just being childish, but now wasn't the time.

You gestured for him to sit still or you'd kill him. He just smiled at you. You rolled your eyes out of pure annoyance and walked back out, slamming the door.

"Everything okay..?" Aether questioned.

You quickly slapped on a fake smile and nodded, "Yeah! Listen, I understand, there's no hard feelings, you are forgiven. Now I have some business to attend to, so I will see you two later." You pushed the two out the door and closed it, leaving Aether and Paimon clueless outside.

You stomped into your room. Scaramouche scoffed, "Man, tough crowd."

You quickly glared at him, "You have to be more careful! I'm serious when I say both of our careers are hanging in the balance here. If you want to keep your position, you have to keep this lowkey. Same with me."

He rolled his eyes leaning back on the bed, "I know, I know."

"Now get out of my bed." You said with no remorse.

"Eh? Why? You're not going to join me?" Scaramouche pouted.

You glared at him once again, "I just accepted your confession, you're taking things way too fast. Geez.. who knew you were so childish."

"You know Y/N, you're the only person I'd let boss me around like that," he got off the bed and stood up, "Well then, I shouldn't intrude any longer, " he leaned down to pick up his hat, "I'll be in town for a few more days, at least now I know where you live." He smiled.

"If you come back, please knock." You rolled your eyes, knowing very well that would be something he'd neglect to do.

Scaramouche took your hand in his, gently kissing the back of your hand. It seemed weird, like something a prince would do. And he was definitely no prince.

"I'll return before you know it," He smiled, and like that, he was off.

You sighed as you heard the door open and close. Throwing yourself onto your bed, you started to close your eyes when you heard a knock at your door. Perhaps Scaramouche accidentally left something?

You reluctantly got up to open the door. Expecting to see the short angry man you called your "boyfriend", you were surprised to see someone much taller. It was none other than the man Scaramouche warned you about.

"Good to see you again, Y/N!"

A/N

ed sheeran is back lmao

writing this chapter has reminded me how painfully single I am lol