Chapter 24, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Look at your feet!" Faith exclaimed. "Why, they're all bloody and torn! What happened?"

Erin looked down. "I'm fine, thank you. There are more pressing matters."

Ted sat near Hattie. "What's going on?"

"Erin, tell them what you told me."

"About Lilith?"

"What about Lilith?" Ted asked.

Hattie sat forward in her chair. "Erin was a slave to Zarek's men. Some of them are coming here with Lilith." She turned to Erin. "Tell him. Tell him what you told me," she repeated.

"I escaped their camp last night and ran to the city. I found Hattie this morning. She said we should come to you for help."

"I don't understand," Ted said.

"You will in a minute." Hattie breathed in short gasps. "Tell him, Erin. Tell him why Lilith is coming to Polesk."

Erin told of how Zarek's men met up with Lilith at the palace and about how Lilith had spoken to the troops. "I couldn't believe my ears!" She closed her eyes and put her hands over them.

"What?" Ted asked. "The fliers say she's coming to offer some sort of blessing to the children of Polesk. Mind you, I've never heard of such a thing, but—"

"No," Erin cried, "she's not coming to bless them! She's coming to kill them!"

Ted sprang to his feet. "What?"

"So you see, Ted," Hattie interrupted, "I've got to get out of the city. I have to get Claire to safety. But I had to be sure you knew so that you could warn the people of Polesk."

"What did she tell her men?" Ted asked, his question pointed at Erin.

The young woman relayed everything she knew.

"Imposter child?" Faith interrupted. "I don't understand."

"She said someone is trying to pass a child off as a seventh seventh and that she'll do what she must to find the infant. She told the men how to identify her, and offered a great reward for her. She swore she'd kill all the infants in Oosa to get to her if necessary."

Faith's eyes met Ted's. They nodded at one another.

"What?" Hattie asked, looking from one of them to the other. "What do you know about this? My Claire is in danger. You have to tell me!"

"We'll do what we can, Hattie," Ted said. "Believe me, I've been looking into the problem of Lilith already. Something's not right with her. I believe she turned from the Good One. If what Erin says is true, then it's clear she no longer follows His ways."

"But an imposter! How could someone put all the children in danger for an imposter? Ted, if you know something, you have to speak up!"

"No, Hattie, I couldn't do anything that would put any child in danger. You know that. You wouldn't either. But I can tell you this much: The child Lilith seeks is no imposter."

"You mean there is such a child? A seventh seventh?"

Ted sat. "Rowena Vala's seventh born."

"Rowena's child? How do you know? Who told you? When—"

"Calm down," he interrupted. "I've seen her. She's real. She is what they claim."

"Oh!" Hattie sprang to her feet. "I have to get out of Polesk right away!"

"But Hattie, I've been thinking. I'm not sure there's anywhere for you to go," Erin said.

"What are you talking about? I can't stay here where Claire is in danger."

"Lilith said that Polesk is just her first stop because it was the place she thinks the child was last seen. She plans to cover all of Oosa if need be."

"Oh, great Ehyeh!" Faith exclaimed.

"Ted, what do I do?" Hattie asked.

Faith exited the room.

"Hattie," Ted said after a moment of silent contemplation, "I've been concerned about Lilith for some time now—since she was here last. If she's doing as Erin says, she's working against Ehyeh's interests. A Select who does so is one to whom we owe no duty."

"What does that mean?"

"The archives tell of past instances when members of the Select acted in ways that put Oosa's people in danger. You might say they were negligent. In other circumstances, worse circumstances, they knowingly acted against the interests of the people, or of others of the Select. Such acts are criminal. According to ancient writings, when a Select acts criminally, she removes herself from Ehyeh's protection."

"But what does that mean for us? For Claire?"

Faith returned with a basin of water, then got down on her knees and put Erin's feet in it. The young woman leaned back and closed her eyes.

"This sanctuary at Polesk is unique," Ted continued. "Ancient writings tell us that it was constructed with the magic of Oathtakers. It was intended to be a place of safety at all times and for all people. I believe Lilith didn't plan for her ceremony to be held at this sanctuary because she knows she can't do what she plans there."

"You mean the children will be safe at sanctuary?"

"If there's a safe place in all of Oosa, I believe that sanctuary here is it."

"Are you sure? What if she does go there?" Hattie brushed hair away from her face.

Ted got up for his shoulder bag. He rummaged inside of it, finally removing a small weathered book.

"What's that?" Faith asked, looking up from her ministrations.

Ted sat next to Hattie. "The libraries at sanctuary are some of the oldest and most complete in all of Oosa. I've spent a great deal of time studying what's there. One of the resources I've gone back to repeatedly over the years, is a study of the written accounts of divinations, vaticinations and prognostications."

"You mean—prophecies?" Hattie asked.

"Well," he tipped his head right, then left, "yes, in part. Sometimes they are prophecies—tellings of things to come. A true prophecy must come to pass, at least eventually. Sometimes they're merely forecasts or predictions of what might occur, or of the effect some event might have if it does occur. Sometimes they're explanations or insights into things past or present and how those events may touch upon things for the future."

"What's this got to do with Lilith, Ted? We need to act quickly."

"I'm getting there." He leaned in. "This little book," he said as he patted it, "is one I've referred to again and again over the years. I never dreamed my years of study would be so important one day." The small red leather book fit in his palm. Its cover was cracked and dry, making a design that looked like veins on the back of a hand. Its corners were curled.

"What is it?"

"Perhaps the most important book in the entire library."

Faith turned from her task. "What is it Ted? Something's troubling you."

"You might say that."

"So what's the book, Ted?" Hattie asked.

"This," he said, waving the book with each turn of his wrist, "is The Book of The Blood."

***Thank you for taking time with Oathtaker. I sincerely appreciate your votes and welcome your comments.***

Oathtaker is an award-winner in the 2014 Readers' Favorite International Book Award contest. A completed work, it is currently available in print form at CreateSpace at createspace.com/4767727, in print and for your Kindle on Amazon (see the link) and from Barnes and Noble for your Nook.