T H I R T E E N

BELLE

I treaded out to the treehouse, where Gage had texted me asking me to meet. I haven't seen him in a week, exactly. He had been out every time I tried to hang out, and he even skipped out on dinner yesterday. I thought he was avoiding me until he texted me earlier and told me to come out.

We had a tradition. Every year, the night before the first day of school, we would go to the treehouse and pull an all-nighter. We watched movies and played games all night, drinking like four cups of coffee to stay awake. This had been going on since seventh grade, and now we were seniors. I was so excited for all of the fun things we had planned for this year. Spirit week, homecoming, sadies, prom, and senior skip day. I was sure I missed a few activities, but those were the ones I was most excited for.

I reached the stairs and heard laughter on the other side of the door. I furrowed my eyebrows and barged in, only to see Gage smiling on the phone giddily. He flinched when he saw me, holding his heart.

"Shit, Lockwood. You scared me." He chuckled. "I'll catch you later Dylan." He said, closing his phone with a smile. Dylan on the lacrosse team? I didn't know they were close like that. I set down the coffee cups and took a seat next to him on the beanbag.

"I missed you this week, Gager. You've been MIA." I pouted softly, ruffling his hair. His eyes sparked when he smiled back on me.
"Sorry Belley. I've been busy. I'm getting some community service hours in at the soup kitchen too." He said. Wow? The soup kitchen?
"I thought we were going to volunteer at the library together?" I tried to hide my hurt.
"Oh shit, you're right. My bad, bels. I forgot about that." He cringed.

Okay?

"It's okay." I reassured him.
"Maybe ask Didi. I'm pretty sure she needs some hours in." He recommended.
"Thanks, I will. So, what's first on the list?"
"Fuck. I forgot the CDs at home. Do we have any here?" He asked.
"Um, no. It's okay, I guess. Did you bring the games?" I asked, knowing the answer.
"No. They were right next to the movies. Sorry, Belley. Should I go get them?"
"It's okay. We could just talk." I suggested as he stifled a yawn. "...Or sleep."

"No, it's tradition." He pushed.
"It's okay, you look tired. We could just do this tomorrow or something." I offered, mostly out of politeness. I wasn't expecting him to agree.
"You're the best, Bels. I'll pick you up tomorrow at seven, okay?"
"Sure. Goodnight, Gage." I smiled up at him, and something in his eyes changed. He nodded at me and went down the stairs first.

He didn't even bother to help me grab anything or walk me home, which he usually does. Ouch.