Chap's 36-39

*** Chapter 36 ***

Breakfast caught, cooked and eaten. Skinning knife all sharpened up. Backpack packed and pitchfork borrowed from Grandpa George. Redtail thought, This is shaping up to be a fun day! It will be a milestone day, too, as Redtail will be taking the bicycle she and George reconditioned out for its first ride besides just up and down the driveway.

Mr. Ziffel crawled out from under the step as Redtail rolled the bike out of the barn. He shook himself off and wagged his tail as he waddled over to meet Redtail. George stepped out, onto his porch, looked up and squinted, then to Redtail. "So, you're off for an exciting safari?"

"Yeah, I'm thinking I need a wall in my tent to hang all my trophy mounts."

"There's a mental image that's hard to think about with a straight face."

"I sure hope I get a bunch of moles. It sounds like I'll have some help, too. It's at Jerry's place and I think Kevin and Riff or Raff plan to be there. I don't know whether to assign Jerry or Mike Riff or Raff. They're fun kids. Jerry's sister, Beth, will likely hang around a little out of curiosity. She tried to act grossed out yesterday, but wanted to hear all the details."

"Kids are funny sometimes. Well you have a most-fruitful expedition, ya hear?"

Redtail gave a thumbs-up as she hopped onto the bike and started pedaling. "I'll try to be home before dusk!"

"You be careful on those roads, young lady! No shoulders, ya know."

Redtail called back, "Gotcha! I'll probably pull off quite a few times for foraging before I get there."

Redtail struggled to the end of the driveway and stopped her bike. This just won't do! She turned around and rode back to her camp. She rounded up some wire and fastened the pitchfork to the horizontal bar of the bike. Well well well. If anyone gets in my way now somebody's gonna get hurt. And it'll sure make riding easier than trying to carry the fork in my hand.

When Redtail resumed her trip, she felt like a medieval jouster with a multi-pointed lance. She got within sight of Thistle Dew when she stopped the first time to forage. Just at the edge of Perry's Bend, she gathered a few hands full of blackberries. She looked around a bit and spotted some greenbrier. Several had soft growth in the 4-6" range, and were about pencil-thick. Now there's a substantial snack! She put the berries in a small jar and munched on the smilax (greenbrier) while she rode.

As she pedaled past town, her pitchfork drew some curious looks. Redtail just smiled and waved. One guy at the Food and Fuel hesitatingly waved back. Out the west end of town, Redtail made a mental note of a curly dock patch.

There it was: the big place about a mile out of town. She rode up the smooth gently curved blacktop driveway and stopped the bike under a false balcony supported by two white pillars. She looked around and thought it must be the place. She reached to ring the doorbell, but heard what sounded like a bunch of approaching feet thumping on the floor inside.

Beth and Jerry yanked the door open together, laughing. They saw Redtail and quickly tried to compose themselves. "Oh don't stop laughing on my account!" grinned Redtail.

Beth said, "C'mon in!"

Jerry looked at Beth like she'd stolen his line, but gave in. He asked, "Redtail, can I take your bag and stuff out back to the hunting grounds?"

"You may do that. Thank you."

Beth gave Jerry a victorious sneer. Jerry waved his hand in a dismissing, almost uncharacteristic adult-like manner, "No problem. I got her all afternoon." He returned the victory sneer to his sister. He put his foot on the pedal and scootered the bike and equipment around back to the patio.