Chap's 21-25

*** Chapter 21 ***

Redtail startled to wakefulness at the cackling of a pileated woodpecker very near her tent. She did her best to interpret what it might have said and gave a reply. "And good morning to you, too!"

She got up and set to getting a fire going. The sky was still quite overcast and the air smelled heavy. It was going to be a lighter sort of fire, rather than flint or lens. Redtail turned over a piece of sheet metal under which she kept a stash of kindling. Like the woodpecker startled Redtail, she startled a meadow mouse who'd taken shelter in her kindling. Redtail laughed and growled at herself at the same time. "I'm turning into Little Bunny Foo Foo." But she now had more for breakfast.

Redtail skinned the mouse and set aside the lungs and digestive tract for fishbait. She got her fire started and felt secure enough with it she took the mouse innards and fishpole and ran up to the pond. One cast and in less than two minutes at pondside, she had a nice fat bluegill. She headed back to camp. By the time she arrived, the fire had burnt itself down to a friendly cookfire. She cleaned the fish and even kept the egg sacks for breakfast. She smiled to herself as she thought, "Fish eggs aren't that bad, except they're kind of hard to turn without breaking the yolks. But I guess I don't need to worry about that since I'm roasting breakfast on a stick."

With breakfast finished, Redtail continued her food hunt with only a minor adjustment in her routine. She collected with the intent of sharing with others. She's always eager to share, but, today, she kept a special eye out for particularly appealing stuff.

Redtail's target plants were thistle, green brier, dandelion flowers, violets, chickweed and other mild-flavored or texturally friendly plants. She also included a clear plastic jar in her burlap sack for those live critter examples she was also alert for. She watched for snails, worms, special caterpillars, crickets, roaches and other favorite snack critters.

Mr. Ziffel came to assist in the forage and Redtail was reminded of the importance of thorough rinsing. "Mr. Z, you stick to rinsing those near the trees and I'll take care of these, myself," said Redtail.

After not long, George joined Redtail in the broke ground patch.

George said, "Good morning! Stockin' up?"

Redtail replied, "Actually, I'm collecting more with today's program in mind."

George said, "Well thank you. Hopefully, we'll have plenty of leftovers for you."

George and Redtail foraged through lunch, but they didn't miss out. They snacked along the way.

Redtail asked, "Do you have favorite references for your edibles studies?"

"I pretty much love browsing them all," said George, "but three in particular, popped into mind and more are trickling in."

A moment or two passed and Redtail asked, "Are you going to keep me in suspense, or tell me what they are?"

George put on a face of innocent ignorance, but it wasn't very convincing. "Oh, sure, you wanted to know what they are, too?"

Redtail smiled, rolled her eyes and gave an exasperated sigh. "Oh yes, please. Do tell. Do tell."

George let a smile crack his innocent look. "Sorry 'bout that. I like playing with words."

Redtail lowered and toughened her voice. "Yer just lucky Ah wuz in a good mood!"

George gave a shiver. "That's almost beyond imagination –you, not in a good mood."

Redtail said, "Yeah, kinda scary, huh?"