Happy Family

Chapter One

"What's it like?" Lillian whispered in the dark crevice called our room. Lillian and I sat alone while the others were in the living room doing who knows what.

"What's what like?" I asked, genuinely confused. I haven't been here for very long but I already knew Lillian was the type to ask many questions, even if she knew you didn't have the answers.

"Life. Freedom. Fun. I don't know, you pick one." I smiled at Lillian's question. She was a brilliant girl for only 9. Lillian starred waiting for the answer.

"Its good. You'll like it once we get out."

"You mean IF we get out." She's also the most pessimistic 9 year old in the world. Of course she has every right to be.

"No I mean, we will get out. Try to stay positive. Remember?" She nodded her head slowly and smiled. Smiles. The only thing we have left that belong to us.

If you're confused, you should be. We all are. This isn't about how a family goes through hard times and struggles. This is about me, Helena Graves, and the other 11 children who were kidnapped along with me. My life from then on out was different. My perspective on life had changed a ton and I now appreciate love a lot more.

"Madison, Jamie. Time to eat." The witch called from the top of the stairs. The wife of the man who kidnapped us all. She was nicer than him, but she still deserved to rot in hell for the rest of eternity.

"Coming your highness." I snarled. That bitch doesn't deserve my respect. Lillian starred at me praying that the women didn't get upset and hit me. Personally, I didn't care. She can hit me all she wants, I'm still getting out of here.

"Helena, don't try to piss her off!" Lillian whisper yelled at me. I knew she wasn't just scared for me but for all of them. The youngest girl here is Gina. She's only 3 and just about the cutest little girl I've ever met.

"Sorry Lill, I'll stop." I met her eyes with a small smile. Instead of fear, my goal was to install hope and happiness into all of these kids.

We walked up the long flight of stairs and around a couple of bends till we got to the dining room. The fourteen chairs that surrounded the huge table slowly filled up as we all took our places next to one another.

"John, how was your day? Any children misbehave?" Our so called "Mother" asked Damon. They made up names for all of us but we all call each other by our real names to keep some sort of security. Damon's new name is John, mine is Madison, and Lillian's is Jamie.

"Fine. No." Damon said as little words as possible while still answering the questions. He knew the less he said the better.

"Alright. How about you Madison? Anything exciting happen at school?" That bitch. How dare she ask about my fucking school day. That was the only bit of sanity I had left away from this house and she had to ruin it.

"Well, my day was amazing. A guy told me he liked me and I kissed him," I said as I smirked furiously. Mother gasped and proceeded to glare at me. I knew I had royally pissed her off but I personally didn't care, nor would I ever care.

"Oh, sounds, interesting." She said trying to seem as if she didn't care. Ha, bitch, I know your games. First you'll act as if you don't care and the next moment you'll be trying to beat me with a broom. Although the others may fear you and your house of pain, I promise I will save them from a life of beatings and death.