Best Ways to Start a Cybersecurity Career

Cyber threats are the biggest issue in global security with numbers only skyrocketing. The cost of cybersecurity breaches in 2018 alone was more than $654 billion. This includes 2.8 billion pieces of data from consumers that was exposed and potentially stolen and sold on the black market. To protect a business from highly sought-after consumer data, cybersecurity jobs are in heavy demand. However, finding ways to get into this newly emerging career field is still tricky. Here are some ways to navigate the pathway to a cybersecurity career.

Applicable Starter Careers

If you are interested in IT or computer programming, you can start with a career as a computer software engineer or IT technician. Jobs in web administration, network engineering, IT customer service, or database administration are also applicable. For individuals who have a background as a computer systems analyst or system administrator, this is a natural pathway as well. These careers all give you the background you need to effectively pursue a career in cybersecurity.

Basic Skills for Cybersecurity Students

By the time you graduate from the cybersecurity program, you want to have certain skills. This means being apt at networking and database management, as well as web applications and systems administration. These IT skills are fundamental for a cybersecurity professional. In addition, you also need to be able to manage daily IT operations.

This includes storage and security for networks and server equipment along with applications. You are also in charge of managing the users of these systems. Therefore, you need to have customer service skills in IT specifically to be able to provide maintenance and repairs for employers, staff, and/or customers.

How to Get Started in Cybersecurity Training

For students who lack any of the aforementioned skills and are just getting started, there is a pathway to success. Start with learning how to code. This is the most essential language for bing a cybersecurity expert. You will need to be able to speak in from the start of class at the basic level. Of course, you will learn more coding skills as you attend cybersecurity classes.

Rebuilding Computers

You can also prepare for a career in cybersecurity by taking apart computers and rebuilding them. Either use existing terminals you have or spend a couple hundred dollars on a new netbook to get started. This hands-on practice of working with computer hardware is a great way to learn the behind-the-scenes of computer programming.

Constructing a Cybersecurity Lab

You can also construct a cybersecurity lab with multiple PCs connected to a wireless router via firewall. The internet connection should have a network switch and other essentials to mock a computer lab. From here you can practice hacking into the security of your own system. Start by learning how to properly secure the server network and terminals. Then see how efficiently you are able to hack the system from a variety of methods. This is the best way to get into the mindset of the future cybercriminals you will be detecting.

Playing Cybersecurity Contests

Did you know that you can play games involving cybersecurity that are actually fun? There are Capture the Flag competitions held for cybersecurity. According to Cisco, there have been that feature Capture the Flag events since 1996. The first one called DEFCON was held in Las Vegas, Nevada.

These competitions let individuals of all skill levels test their cybersecurity strengths in a real-time event. This challenge helps stimulate and develop insight and experience into how cybersecurity and cybercriminals work. The Capture the Flag game is set up and played like a Jeopardy game. Topics that are included in the game play have been Steganography, Scanning, Physical Security, and Cryptography.

Networking in Cybersecurity

Yes, networking in cybersecurity often refers to the IT side of the issue. However, there are other forms of networking going on behind the scenes at these cybersecurity conferences and CTF events. You have the opportunity to mix and mingle as you network with other cybersecurity students, experts, and hackers, too.

At these events, you can learn a great deal about the niche areas of cybersecurity, which can lead you to sharpen your career focus. You are better positioned to take the most appropriate classes and coursework to help you develop your cybersecurity background. Then by the time you graduate from college with a degree in cybersecurity, you are ensured a well laid track for employment in one of the highest and most in demand fields on the market in the US and abroad.