Part: 7 Playing with the Fire

Chloe lay on the bed in one of the lavish rooms of Andrew's mansion as the doctor attended to her dressing, and she remained unconscious.

Andrew sat at the bar counter of his mansion, sipping a glass of scotch, pondering the unfamiliar emotions stirring within him. He stared straight ahead, unblinking, and he didn't get what was happening to him and why his eyes had welled up at the sight of Chloe in pain. He was annoyed that he was developing feelings for someone because he liked to be heartless. He never wanted to care about anybody, never wanted to change, and now he was afraid of changing.

Mike's voice startled him. "Boss"

"What?" He replied, coming back to the reality.

"Doctor said she would regain consciousness within a few hours." As Mike informed him, he stared with no emotion in his eyes. Mike added, "Don't worry about her, boss, she's fine."

"Why would I worry about her? It doesn't matter to me if she's fine or not." He freaked out, placing the glass on the counter with a thud.

Even though Mike knew his boss was lying because he could see the genuine concern for Chloe in his boss's eyes, he stayed silent.

As he gave his boss a slight nod and left, Andrew gulped down a full glass of scotch in one go.

"I don't care for her, I don't care for anybody." He thundered, placing the glass on the counter. His eyes were red, spitting fire as he stared straight ahead.

***

Andrew sat on the sofa in his room, watching her on his laptop placed on the table. As Chloe regained consciousness, he instantly stood up from the sofa and rushed to meet her without thinking. Her room was next to his room.

He stepped into her room, and as she saw him, her eyes shimmered with happiness, and her lips drew up to a bright smile. She sat in a comfortable position, leaning against the bed. He kept his look serious as he strolled toward her and stood beside her bed, crossing his arms across his chest. He wanted to ask her how she was, but he didn't want to show her that he cared.

Chloe initiated the conversation. "Thank you so much for saving my life, my hero." He frowned as she called him a hero.

"I'm not your hero." He retorted, rolling his eyes, irked.

"But you saved me like a hero." She smiled at him with glee.

"You should be afraid of me." He warned, bending down, coming closer to her, and fixing his dark gaze on her.

"I'm not scared of anything." She asserted, staring deep into his scorching eyes.

"Everybody has some weakness; soon I'll find yours." He stated with full confidence.

"Good luck, my hero." She scoffed.

"Stop calling me a hero." He said, clearly irritated.

"You know they thought I'm close to you, and that's why they kidnapped me. Couldn't we come close to each other in real? Now you know that I'm loyal to you." She asked with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

He moved dangerously close to her face, accelerating her heartbeat. "You're playing with fire; you will get burned." He warned her in a stern tone, the intensity of his gaze searing.

She caressed his stubble, gazing into his bewitching eyes. "I'm not afraid to burn because I'm habitual of playing with fire. In fact, I love to play with fire." She gave him a wink, and they both gazed into each other deeply.

Suddenly, her eyes fell on his bleeding palm, and she asked, her voice laced with concern. "Why didn't the doctor bandage your hand? It's bleeding."

"None of your business. It's not hurting," he stood straight and hid his hand behind his back.

"What are you doing, idiot?" He shouted, halting her in an instant as she was about to remove the bandage below her neck.

"It's not hurting me either; I don't need it." She jerked his hand away and removed her bandage harshly. Once again, her wound started bleeding, and she looked at him as if it truly didn't hurt her at all.

"Are you crazy? It is a deep wound." He flared out and pointed at her bleeding wound.

"It doesn't hurt." She said, looking at him with no emotion in her eyes.

He shook his head and hurriedly fetched the First Aid box from the cupboard. He sat beside her and opened the box.

He extended his hand to do her dressing, but she stopped him by holding his hand and said, "First, I'll do your dressing."

"Okay, fine. You can do my dressing, but first, let me do yours; it's bleeding. The doctor said you have already lost so much blood." He explained to her in a concerned tone.

She could perceive his genuine concern for her, and experiencing someone caring about her for the first time made her feel immensely good. She responded with a subtle nod.

First, he gently and carefully cleaned her wound, and she looked at him with affection, a small, contented smile gracing her lips. Nobody could say that he was a ruthless Mafia boss. Then he applied the ointment and put the bandage over her wound.

"Now I'll do." She asserted, picking up the ointment.

"Deal is a deal." He held out his bleeding hand in front of her.

She held his hand, and as her hand touched his, he literally shivered. After dressing his hand, she leaned down and placed a soft, tender kiss on his hand. His eyes dilated in shock, and he instantly withdrew his hand.

She smiled at him with glee while he just glared at her.

"You will stay here because the person who captured our photo, he's still out. So it is still dangerous for you." He explained while putting back the things in the first aid box and closing it.

"Haye, I like you." She suddenly confessed, causing his eyes to widen in shock.

"What?" He asked in a disbelief tone.

"You care for me so much, and therefore you're asking me to be here," her lips curved into a goofy grin.

"I'm doing this because I don't want you to leak our information. I don't care for you." He stood up and thundered, pointing his finger at her. He was angry at himself because deep inside he really cared for her, but he didn't know why, and this thing made him angrier.

"Liar, admit that you care for me. I can clearly see this."

He knitted his brows, fuming in uncontrollable anger. "Just shut up; you're irritating me." He barked at her in aggression.

"You will stay in this room until we find that person. Now goodbye." He stomped off the room, slamming the door.

"Oh God, he's an angry hulk, but I very well know how to handle these types of men." As she murmured, a mischievous smile spread across her face.