"Traffic sucks in this town unless you're driving ten tons of engine with sirens."

"He speaks the truth," Jane nodded, taking a drink of her tea.

"It took me almost two hours to get from Abby's place to the call center downtown, then back over here. Just told Maddie she needs to start Ubering." Maddie was Buck's older sister who'd showed up unexpectedly and was now staying with Buck at Abby's place while Abby was out of the country. Buck had just gotten Maddie a job at the 911 call center.

"How's your sister settling in down there?" Bobby followed up.

"Well, she's a Buckley," the younger man said with a smirk. "Practically running the place." Hen and Chimney shot each other looks and walked away, but Jane just smiled. Arrogance was almost a part of Buck's charm, and she obviously had thicker skin when it came to dealing with him.

"Did she like the cookies I sent home with you?" Jane asked her friend. "I wanted to visit, offer to hang out sometime, but it was the only night Xavier had off that I had off. He flies to NOLA tomorrow."

"She loved them Jane and told me to tell you thank you."

"Good," Jane beamed. It wasn't that she craved the compliments that came with her baking. She just enjoyed the fact that she could make someone's day better with a simple baked good.

Before she could ask more, Eddie came in with a smile at them all. "Good morning."

"Morning," Bobby replied. "Omelet?"

"Yes please," he responded, and he took the spot next to her that Hen had just vacated. He surveyed the table and his eyes widened when he saw the muffins. Jane grinned and pointed at them in turn.

"Strawberry cream cheese and Banana chocolate chip. Made last night."

He grabbed a banana one and let out a low moan after he'd taken his first bite. Jane did everything in her power to ignore the familiarity of that sound. "These," he pointed to the muffin, "are amazing."

"There isn't anything Jane can't bake," Buck stated. "You should try the strawberry."

Jane rolled her eyes even as her cheeks warmed. "This is what I've become Bobby. Nothing more than a source for muffins."

"And brownies. And cookies. And cake," Buck chirped helpfully, which resulted in her laughing despite wanting to feign a wound.

"And she's the source of a good deal of our sanity," Bobby asserted. "She's the only one who can handle you lot without wanting to pull her hair out."

"Besides," Jane chimed lightly, "who else is going to beat Buck up a tree."

"Hey," he yelped. "You cheated."

Jane turned to Eddie and made a mock innocent face, causing him to smile widely at their antics. "Me? Cheat?" she shook her head dramatically. "Never. Someone just got overconfident."

That was when a new voice spoke up, distracting them all. "I'm looking for Jane Thomas. Oh, hey Chimney!"

Turning in her seat, Jane got a surprise in the form of a bouquet of flowers hand delivered by a certain MMA fighter. Xavier was at the top of the stairs, in front of Chimney who sported a large smile, while pointing back at Jane. Jane could feel the stares of everyone looking between them now, and she could feel the heat rising in her cheeks. Xavier took her in, this, she realized, was the first time he'd seen her in uniform.