21: Welcome to the gang.

Y/n's pov

We had finally reached the junkyard and stood at the end of the train tracks, looking out into the familiar landscape of the place.

Steve was mindlessly nodding, his sunglasses perched on his nose and Dustin was wearing a proud look.

"Oh yeah, this'll do." He lifted his sunglasses off his eyes. "This will do just fine. Good call guys." Steve said, rendering to the fact that Dustin and I had picked the location.

I nudged Dustin in the arm and he smiled back at me.

We walked to the centre of the yard and dumped our remaining meat cubes into a pile.

"I said medium-well!" We heard an approaching voice call from the hill.

We looked up and we were relieved to see Lucas walking with his bike, sending us a wave.

Then I saw the familiar red haired girl walking behind him and my smile grew.

"Who's that?" Steve questioned.

"That's Max!" I responded with a smile, walking up to the pair.

"Hey! Welcome to the gang!" I said to Max, slinging and arm around both her and Lucas's shoulders.

Max giggled and Lucas smiled at me with a face that clearly said 'I knew she'd be cool with it.'

However, Dustin did not look very happy.

"Lucas. We need to talk." Dustin said, pulling him over to behind an old car.

"Wait, so, all that stuff that Lucas told me about actually happened?" Max asked as we gathered random sheets of metal.

"Yeah. I know, sounds crazy, right? But believe me, it happened." I shrugged, helping her lift an old rusty ladder.

"Okay, I believe you." She said with a smile.

"What are we doing with this anyways?" I asked, picking up the other end of the ladder.

"I thought we could put it through that hatch in the roof of the bus to make some sort of lookout." Max said with a shrug.

"I like the way you think." I said with a smile as Steve banged a piece of metal on the car that Dustin and Lucas were talking behind, startling us all.

"Hey, dickheads. How come the only ones helping me out are Y/n and this random girl? We lose light in forty minutes. Let's go." Steve said.

The two boys stared at him.

"Let's go, I said!" Steve said loudly.

"Alright, asshole! God." Dustin said as he walked away.

"Okay, stupid!" Lucas said, also walking away.

Max and I both chuckled and continued on our way over to the bus.

We prepared the bus for Dart's arrival and secured everything.

Steve trailed the gasoline from the pile of meat to the entrance of the bus.

We rolled barrels over to the bus, and brought more sheets of metal.

——

The sun had just begun to set as we all filed into the bus, Steve bringing up the rear.

Steve stepped inside the bus and slammed the door shut, as we all began our long wait.

Word count: 477