三十二 The Ambush

Comincia dall'inizio

It's not until we reach the halls of the cabin and spot our deceased comrades bleeding out on the floor that I'm reminded of the last time I saw so many die at the hand of something other than a titan.

The Hogs are here.

I drop to my knees, nudging one of the scouts gasping for air to rise to his feet and escape. "Come on, we have to get out of here!"

He grapples for words to leave his mouth, but the effort only ends in a coughing fit. Levi grabs at my arm roughly, tugging me up to stand. "There's no use, Kaira," he growls.

"What do you mean!? They need our help!"

He grabs my jaw and forces me to look at him dead in the eye, instead of at our fallen comrades that are suffering before us. "Most of them are dead. We might not even be able to make it out of here alive, let alone if we try to take injured people along with us. These are Elias' men. They're swarming the cabin. We need to leave before they—"

"Too late," a murderous voice speaks behind us.

Mikasa draws her weapon, while Levi steps in front of me protectively. I roll my eyes at his antics, pulling out my own sword and stepping away to see who poses a threat to us.

Two men and a woman stand at the end of the hall, all wearing identical ebony uniforms and sinister expressions.

"Divide and conquer?" Mikasa proposes.

I nod fervently, breaking our tight huddle to rush the three enemies. My weapon clashes with one of theirs', followed closely by Levi and Mikasa. The man I'm up against proves to be a worthy opponent, matching each swing of my blade with a clean dodge and an equally powerful counter. I find myself rolling out of the way of one of his blows, but he still manages to snag off a part of my sleeve. It doesn't penetrate my skin, but it's awfully close. I won't let it slide.

Gritting my teeth, I come flying back at him in full force, expertly swinging my sword with doubled speed. Sweat drips from both of our foreheads, each being attacked with an insane amount of focus and drive dedicated to surviving this match.

At some point, he fumbles. The blade slips from his grip, providing me with the upper hand. I swing ruthlessly at his arm, then his leg, to which he cries out in pain. Levi comes in last, launching his own weapon straight through the man's back and through his chest. He lets out one last gasp of fear, before dropping limp to the floor.

"I had it handled," I comment to the stubborn man who always seems to be coming to my rescue.

"I know you did," he retorts. "Just making the process go by faster. That way we can get out of here as soon as possible."

I grumble in annoyance, knowing that he's right. This isn't any time to be proving how capable I am. We have to leave this cabin before it's completely swarmed with Hogs. With all three of us having eliminated our opponents, Mikasa, Levi, and I turn the corner at the end of the hall.

We don't get very far, however, before we hear the echo of footsteps.

"Prepare yourselves," Levi huffs. "We don't know how many of them are coming."

We all assume fighting positions, readying ourselves for yet another fight to ensue. Fortunately though, we don't expect the faces that do turn the corner. We're met with Eren, Jean, Armin, and Connie, who all look as rattled as we do.

"There you are!" Armin calls out in relief.

"Captain," Eren calls out. "What's going on? Are these Elias' men?"

Levi nods. "Yes, they are. We need to leave. Now."

"I'm afraid that's not going to happen anytime soon."