jealous confessions • spencer reid (fluff)

SPENCER X FEM!READER

Summary: Based on this tumblr request! I had an idea for a spencer reid fluff where he's working on a case with the reader and the victims family member (or anyone really) takes a liking to him and the reader gets insecure or jealous, so at the end of the day she blurted it out bcz he knows something is up (he kept asking whats wrong) and its just alot reassurance and fluff.

Word Count: 3.9K! Feedback is welcome and appreciated!

-

The hardest part of any case was dealing with the victims' family members, having to console them with promises that you weren't sure you could keep, and trying to avoid the difficult questions you know you didn't have answers to. JJ was normally in charge of liaising with the family members, despite being a profiler she still had the best rapport with dealing with those situations, which was something you had always admired about her.

So when she called in sick and informed the team that she wouldn't be joining them on their next case, panic set in, hoping that the unfortunate role wouldn't fall on you. It didn't, surprisingly the job had been left to Spencer. You weren't entirely sure who elected him to take over, you liked Spencer but everyone knew he was not the best at reading the room or dealing with strong emotions.

You thought he would have protested, insisted someone else take the job but surprisingly he seemed eager to do the job. The minute you guys arrived at the local precinct he'd taken the young victim's sister aside to a small office, opposite where the rest of you were working. This meant you had the perfect view of what was happening in the room, and despite the fact you were supposed to be reading through past case files that could potentially be linked to your current case, you could not draw your eyes away from Spencer.

"What are you looking at?" You heard Emily say, the sudden interruption from your thoughts causing you to jump. She took a seat beside you, handing you a cup of coffee that you didn't even know you needed and you smiled at her as if to say, thank you.

"Nothing." You responded curtly, tearing your gaze away from where Spencer was and looking at her and then down the piles of papers sitting in front of you. "Just wishing I had the ability to read as quick as Dr Genius over there." You tilted your head to where he was, unintentionally catching sight of the way the victim's sister, Natalie,  placed her hand on his upper arm, her touch lingering just a little longer than it should've, especially considering how opposed to touch Spencer was. You were sure it was an innocent action, it had to be given the circumstances, yet this strange feeling took over you, a feeling you could only describe as jealousy at how he hadn't brushed her off or asked her to remove her hand. You hated that you felt like this.

Emily watched you staring at them, her eyes darting between you and him watching the microexpression on your face shift. "Right..." She replied, not entirely believing you but not wanting to press further. She knew if there was something wrong that you would talk to her or at least that's what she hoped. "Hotch wants to deliver the preliminary profile in 5, do me a favour and bring Spencer with you." 

You opened your mouth to respond, to say you couldn't possibly leave your work half done, that you couldn't possibly go into that room and have to deal with both the emotions that they would be feeling as well as your own. But before you could get the words out, she'd walked away. You sighed as you stood up to briefly pack away some of the more sensitive case files,  before making your way to where Spencer was.

Despite the closed doors, you could hear a faint sound of laughter. Weird, you thought, you'd heard a lot of crying, some yelling, and even rages of pure expletives but laughter wasn't a usual reaction to the types of conversations Spencer was currently having. You took a deep breath before knocking on the door, waiting for the brief 'come in' before entering, you popped your head around the door sending the girl a small sympathetic smile before turning to Spencer. "I'm sorry to interrupt but Hotch wants us." You said, watching as he nodded and got up from where he was sitting.