Unfortunately for it, you shut it down once again right after.

"We did it," you say, your voice somewhat flat. "That means it's time for me to go."

"What? On your own? But that's dangerous!" Connor stares at you with worried and intense eyes.

Solemnly, you nod. "Yes, I know. I should go know before I waste any more time... I'll go to the Lieutenant's house next to disguise myself as a human in his clothes. Thank you for your help, Connor."

With that, you take a step away from him and the wall of evidence and get ready to take the emergency exit out of there.

Your thirium pump aches faintly.

"Wait, I-... I always keep a set of spare clothes under my desk... I'm always worried I'll get coffee on my shirt or something, sorta like how you did. If you just wait for me, I can go grab it, then you'll be saving time anyway!"

You freeze and slowly turn to face him. With a few slow blinks, you stare at the detective in silent confusion.

"I don't understand?"

No, that was incorrect. You did understand what he meant. But you didn't understand his intentions. Why did he seem so worried? And why did he want to help you so badly?

Connor nervously rubs the back of his neck, "Just-just wait here for me, okay? I'll be quick. Er, I'm sure Hank's still causing a distraction."

Without allowing you the chance to respond, Connor awkwardly half-jogs back up the stairs and disappears through the heavy grey door, leaving you alone in the silence. You stand there, your internal clock ticking away.

(A/N: why is this so funny to me- help)

After four minutes had passed, according to your inner clock, the door swung open to reveal a slither of light and a disheveled Connor stumbles down the stairs.

In his arms is a bundle of grey and white clothing.

"Ah, sorry," he says, an awkward half-smile on his face. Reading his body language, you see that he's anxious and somewhat uncomfortable. "Actually, I bumped into Reed and I- yeah- here..."

You take the clothes from his hands rigidly. He's brought you a simple white button-up and a grey hoodie. A comfortable-seeming combination.

With a small smile you look up at him, "Thank you," and then place the clothes at your feet.

Connor stares at you in confusion but before he can say much, you've already hooked your hands around the hem of your shirt and started to pull it up and over your head.

"I-" choking on his words, you hear Connor's shoes squeaking as he presumably turns to face the other direction.

Now shirtless asides from the compulsory Cyberlife bra, you stare at the detective's broad back in complete and utter confusion, shirt in hand. "Connor?"

"You- you can't just-" his voice is half a pitch higher than it usually is. "Y/N! Doesn't your social integration program tell you not to get dressed in front of oth-other people? I don't even know what to say."

You blink and slip Connor's shirt over your messy hair. "Yes... But isn't it only unacceptable among strangers? You allow me to call you by your first name. And although I am biologically female, I am an Android. I assumed you wouldn't mind me in a state of undress for that very reason. I apologize for making you uncomfortable."

As you adjust the grey hoodie that has been lent to you, you admire the muscles on Connor's back, intrigued by how they show through his cotton tee.

It's interesting to you that a man with such questionable athletic capability is built so... athletically.

Connor clears his throat, "We're close but- I mean- just give me a warning next time!"

You can see the back of his ears are bright red. With a small smile, you speak, "Of course, detective. I've finished now."

He turns back around to face you, revealing a worried expression. "Are you going to head out now?" He asks.

With a small nod, you pass him your uniformed t-shirt and he holds onto it hesitantly. "Yes. We don't have much time... May I borrow your gun?"

"My-... My gun?" Connor blinks before grinning widely. "You're not messing around, are you? Just... bring it back, alright?"

With that, he pulled out a small shotgun from his holster and handed it to you. For a moment, your cool fingers brushed against his warm knuckles. But then that moment had passed and you were already slipping the gun into your deepest pocket.

Why does your heart feel so tight?

Blinking slowly, you straighten your shoulders and remind yourself of the time that is slowly passing you.

"I need to go now. Thank you for all of your help, Connor, and please thank Hank too... Without you, I'd never complete my mission."

Connor smiles but there's no light in his eyes, "Of course, Y/N... Just... Be safe, okay? Don't die. And don't tell me you can't die because you're not alive or some other bullshit."

"Don't worry," is your swift response. "I'll come back for you."

Connor's deep brown eyes widen a fraction as he stares at you with intensity.

"I want to understand your connection with Amanda and Richard Stern." With those few words, Connor's expression goes blank with surprise. "Goodbye, Connor."

And that was it. You turned around and left the dark room via the secure side door without uttering another word.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: can you guys tell I'm winging connor's history as i go-??? i honestly don't know where I'm taking it but!! its a lot of fun to write >:D

also i haven't proofread this as many times as i usually do so I'm sorry if there are any mistakes! :^)