TWENTY TWO

The final soccer game of the year was important. It was the last show of school spirit, the last time our team would play together and the last time out coach would coach us.

I hated some of my teammates but there was no denying that they were good. There was no denying that we worked well together. But my anger was still present at Connor and Natalie, even a week later.

No words were exchanged between any of us after our confrontation and I guess that was good. There was no saying what I'd do if any words I didn't like escaped either of their mouths.

But today, all my anger at my teammates and what happened was channelled straight in to the match.

Alexander's Academy:

The scum. The cheaters.

Our last game was against them and I was determined to win, to not let my final game of my high school career be lost to them.

"We're against Alexander's again today, for the final time. What are we going to do?" I shouted at my team in the changing room, standing in front of them.

"Beat their assess." Multiple voices shouted back, cheering and whooping.

"That's right. We're going to beat their fucking asses." Coach yelled, walking in and adding to the atmosphere. "How you wanna play this, cap?" 

I inhaled deeply before answering. "Counter attack. We fall back, let them come forward with the ball, leaving gaps in their defense and attack as they go and when they're in our defensive third we attack and score."

Everyone nodded and coach stepped forward, looking at the seniors. "This is your last game tonight. The last time you all play together as a team. The last time you have me as your coach. Some of you may go on to become professional and some of you may just continue playing soccer for a hobby but I want you all to know that you're great at what you do. It's been an absolute pleasure having you as part of the best team I have coached in a long time. I wish you all the best." A moment of silence fell over the changing room. "Do me proud. Go out there and kick their asses!"

We all cheered and ran out to the pitch, hearing the screaming crowd of students, families and friends. The atmosphere was like never before. This was our last high school game.

Just before we huddled again Connor pulled me aside.

"Look I'm sorry about what happened. You were right." Connor sighed, staring at the ground. "Natalie was controlling me. I liked the attention she gave me."

"You can get attention off of girls who aren't psychopaths." My eyes skimmed the cheerleaders, looking for the girl I hated but I came up empty.

"She's not here."

"Why?" I asked him.

He chuckled, smirking. "Your girlfriend throws one hell of a punch."

"Harley punched her?" I asked in complete shock. "My Harley?"

He nodded with a chuckle. "Right on the nose. She's not going to show up with a face injury. I doubt she's going to leave the house until it's healed."

As much as I hated Harley for punching someone, for being like me and using violence, I couldn't be more proud.

We were more alike than I thought.

"I'm sorry." He said again.

I shook my head. "You say sorry to my little sister. You don't fucking stare and say shit like that to a woman."

He swallowed but nodded, promising to apologise to her. Connor and I nodded at each other, shaking hands. I was glad we were finally on the middle ground. I still didn't like him but at least he wasn't as much as a douche as he used to be. Natalie was a manipulator and he got too close.