FIVE

"You're lucky the principal let us go." Parker pushed me once we got out of our principals office.

"It's nothing to do with luck." I scoff, shoving him back. "We're his soccer stars. He wants us to win and he can't do that if we're in detention instead of training."

He eyed me suspiciously, a snide smirk growing on his face. "You told him that before, didn't you?"

"Learnt it off Carter." I chuckled.

He laughed, shaking his head as we walked to our maths class. I hated maths with a passion. I always had to get Carter and Lauren to help me with my maths homework because I struggled with it. No matter how much I studied and how much I listened in the lessons, maths and I just weren't best friends.

Normally, I sat alone and Parker and Hayden sat behind me. Two desks were connected so everyone had a pair but I didn't until now.

I nearly stopped in my tracks seeing Harley Nickels in the seat beside mine, her head bowed, resting on her arms on the desk. From this angle I could see she still had her earphones in.

I sat beside her after Parker gave me a smirk and a pointed look towards the new girl before sitting behind me. She didn't open her eyes or move an inch. The only tell that she was alive was the even breathing she expelled and the slight move of her shoulders. Her lip piercing wiggled like before and I knew she was playing with it.

Like social studies, our teacher, Miss Tuffin, handed us work sheets to do in pairs. Internally, I groaned and looked down at the paper. I glanced at Harley and she was still in the same position so I guessed I had to do this by myself.

I was very aware of her sitting next to me, our elbows a mere inch apart. I could feel the warmth her body emitted like my own personal fire and every few seconds my eyes shifted to her. I tried to keep my focus on the worksheet, trying to work out the first answer but the silent and mysterious girl beside me kept distracting me.

I wanted to see her eyes again. I wanted to hear her voice. I wanted to know who she was.

How do I get her to talk?

"Psst."

I ignored him.

"Gray."

Now Hayden was joining in.

"Logan Gray. You're attention is needed. Please turn around." Parker said in a deep announcer voice.

I stifled a chuckle and turned around, my eyebrow raised. "What?"

"What's the answer to number five?" Hayden asked with a smirk.

"Number five?" I say shocked. "I haven't answered number one. This shit is hard."

They snickered. "Man, maths is not your strong suit."

"How about you give me the answer to number one." I smile arrogantly.

"Yea? What do I get in return?" Parker raised his eyebrow, sitting back in his seat.

"I won't tell coach that you punched the captain in the arm multiple times. I have an injury." I smirked and waved my bruised hand at him.

His arrogance faded and he groaned, knowing if I did tell coach then there would be hell to pay and he'd probably be a bench warmer for the next few games and he'd get an earful. "X is three."

I smiled and mock saluted, turning around in my seat. Harley was in the same position but the worksheet was completed in neat answers.

Did she do this? I had only turned around for two minutes. I stared at her in shock, not knowing what to think. I noticed the first question she answered wasn't three at all. Was she wrong or was Parker wrong?