59 / A Little Blood

Thomas felt a chill envelop his body and shivered.

The vials! The ones he'd taken? No wonder they didn't work!

Or rather... did they? Was the reason he had no power himself because his own mother had tried them when she was pregnant with him? They'd worked on him? So, his father had not only given everyone else in the world superpowers, but he'd also made certain his son would never get them. And Oscar? The Fixer had stolen them and kept hold for ten years, before selling them to the child of the man he'd taken them from! Had he known?

"What do you want with us?"

It was Bren who spoke. She could guess what thoughts were racing through Thomas' mind and wanted to continue the conversation. They needed to.

Iain smiled broadly, clearly excited by what he was about to say.

"Your blood of course!"

Bren stepped back, her hand up.

"Blood?"

"Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you. It's only a sample. Barely an armful."

"You've got no chance."

"You could help change everything, just like I did."

"You messed up the whole world!"

"But with your blood, I can make it all better. Half the problems of the world are from jealousy. Jackers and Wigwams, Chameleons and all the other stupid names for an incredible gift. They all want what they've each got. No one is happy. I was going to change it all. With the blood I took from Thomas while he was sleeping, I was going to reset the world. That's the design. Now, with you, I improve it. I can give it back with the madness gone. With the age limit gone. I can give them everything. Everything! Make them born with it."

"You want to make babies with it? Are you mad?" Thomas gasped, horrified at the man he'd grown up thinking was everything he'd wanted to be.

"I thought we'd established that. And yes, then it will be all people have known. People will be able to do anything. Achieve anything!"

Thomas shook his head. Yes, he wanted abilities. Yes, he wanted to be like everyone else, but as it was, not as his father envisioned it. Things were bad enough. Bren seemed to be able to handle the multiple powers she was amassing, but the thought of people like Billy having the same was frightening. He didn't think he'd be able to, let alone the school bully. He just wanted what he was entitled to. To be EQUAL!

"How were you going to take it all away?" Bren asked. She needed information and had to get the man to give up his secrets.

Iain pointed, indicating some intricate machinery on a nearby table, his arrogance and excitement loosening his tongue. Besides, these were children, one his own. They were no threat. If he told them what they wanted to know, he could perhaps move things along to fulfil his dream. He was very aware of the approaching Spotters and the impact that would have once they breached his defences, which he was in no doubt they could do.

"There," he said. "It's simple. Thomas' blood – well, yours now – goes into that. It's all set up. Type in the start sequence code, hit the big red button and it's all automatic."

"That's it? I thought it would be more complicated."

"It was, first time round. I've had a long time to perfect things, and now we have molecular 3D printing. Plus, I have a better understanding of juvenile physiology, thanks to you, my boy."

Thomas shuddered again. His father had been using him as an experiment. His disgust was absolute.

"So...?" Bren prompted. So close. So very close.

"So that's it. There's printing stations across the world. They just need the atomic signatures sent to begin producing the solution. Once it's done, it'll be released automatically. Air, water, even pollen substitutes. I've thought of everything!"

Hopefully not everything, she thought, though she didn't know what she could do to change things.

"Anyway, enough talking," Iain announced. "We've wasted enough time Br... Bren? Please. Roll up your sleeve and let me 'drink your blood'!"

He laughed at the expressions of horror both children gave and have to bite down onto his fist to subdue his mirth.

"It's a joke, kids. Just a joke. I'm not a vampire or anything. I'm just a man trying to save the world. Again. Now, arm."

Bren shook her head and backed away. Thomas moved beside her, taking her hand. He felt crushed by the things his father had said in such a throwaway manner, but rather than allowing it to defeat him, he swallowed the feelings down, letting them be fuel to the fire within him. He might not have any of the powers he should have had, but he knew someone who had enough for the both of them. He'd stand by her, even against his parent.

"Come on girl. You'll be changing the world. Don't you want to be something? To mean something?"

"Not if it means continuing the chaos out there," Bren said.

She brought bristles forth to pierce the surface of her skin, needle sharp, black and long, letting them protrude slowly to add menace to their appearance. Her face elongated, taking on a bestial form, and her teeth became fangs. She let go of Thomas' hand and levitated into the air.

Iain's surprised expression quickly changed to one of delight. He clapped his hands and grinned wildly.

"Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!"

Thomas stepped to the side, imagining Bren's indignation at the unexpected response from his father. She meant to instil fear or offer a warning, not elicit joy! How had the man descended so rapidly into madness? He'd always seemed so... sane to his son. Normal. Just a dad like any other.

If only he had powers of his own to help her! If only she saw that he needed them!

He realised he was partly buying into his father's ideals, but he couldn't help it. After going so long as the brunt of bullies for his lack of abilities, making him weaker than his peers and a prime target, it was difficult for him to shake the feeling that they'd still be his solution.

Bren's needles withdrew and her features calmed. She lowered until she was only a few millimetres off the ground. The anger was still there, but was mixed with confusion. The scientist's reaction was disconcerting.

"Now, about that arm," Iain said. "Are you going to help me?"

Bren's rush forward was sudden and fierce. Her transformation into the creature she had been seconds before was instant. She lunged forward, the claws that had replaced her fingers raised high. As she descended on Iain, he fell back and swung his arm upwards, hard. His swipe connected with the girl and there was a crunching of something breaking. A yelp of pain. A crash as Bren landed on the floor and hit the leg of a table, causing the bottles and odd shaped containers on it too shake and, in two cases, fall off.

She moaned in pain, but was pleased to see Iain's arm, the one he'd hit her with, was bleeding from where her claws had sliced the skin. She was on her feet and ready to attack again before he could properly recover and stand back up.

"No!" yelled Thomas, more concerned with her being hurt than his father.

"Oh, let them play."