47 / Wigwams

"What was that?"

Thomas was the first to speak. They were standing at the foot of the ladder, all shaken by the many faces of the Fixer. None wanted to venture back up, but they were too intrigued to just walk away – or flee.

"He thinks no one knows. We all do though," Eddie said.

"Know what?" Thomas asked. His view of Oscar was one of awe with a fearful frosting. He would have never imagined he'd see the man run scared.

"About his reflection. They don't get on. That's why the mirror was covered. It's the only one here, and it's always got that blanket on it."

"We've all peeked under it at some time, though," said Alex quietly.

Eddie nodded, looking guilty. He shifted on his feet, though there was no sign of the only person who might object.

"So he's a Silver." Thomas was thoughtful.

There were very few Silvers about and their existence has been one of great concern. Having such a power meant you could be anywhere you wished, with no one being able to stop you. You could see and hear anything. A Blocker could stop you but, even with everyone having powers, their use was minimal. Mirrors were a decoration people had and often forgot about, even if they looked in one multiple times a day. You could check your hair or if your jacket matched the colour of your eyes, then walk on without mentally acknowledging a mirror hung in front of you.

"He is that," said Alex.

"Damned good one too, or would be if they got on."

"Got on? His reflection is part of him, isn't it? Don't you have to get on?"

"Not them. They hates each other. Oscar is stuck in here and his reflection goes where it likes."

"Yeah," Alex agreed. "It gives him information, which is where we come in, but only when it feels like it. And it's getting worse."

"So Oscar's afraid of it?"

"Well, not really. Not scared. Frustrated and pissed at it, maybe?" Alex shrugged. "I'd run myself, if that happened to me."

Thomas nodded. They'd begun to walk, their intrigue fading and being replaced by the realisation that Oscar, if he found them loitering, wouldn't be happy about it.

"Me too," Thomas said, nodding. He looked around. "Where're we going?"

"We've got work to do."

They walked along a narrow corridor. Strip light cases concealed by smears of unknown stains did their best to illuminate the hall, and an equally faded carpet tried valiantly to conceal the concrete beneath. The walls were in a worse state than either of the other two. Mostly bare of any covering, with only scraps left to cling on in the hope more might come along and make them feel less isolated and useless, the walls stood oblivious to any who passed. Too much time had elapsed since anyone had shown them attention, so they thought it only fair to reciprocate the indifference.

"What work? What are we going to do?"

"You'll see," Alex said.

"Why so much secrecy?"

"It's not secrecy. We don't know yet. We haven't been assigned."

"Assigned?"

Alex stopped and turned to Thomas.

"Look, you're safe now. You've got a family. We'll look out for you and you'll do the same for me. Stop asking so many questions."

Thomas nodded. He felt reprimanded, though he didn't think the Chameleon meant it that way. Thomas himself would have found so many questions irritating. Eddie nudged him.