Jersey City Hall, New Jersey

Start from the beginning

Her steps were sure, her back straightening as she walked forward through the heavy wooden doors.

Morticia led her and her gaggle of bridesmaids (all of them wanted to be such and she couldn't say no to them) to the courtroom, letting the others in before looking at where she'd paused for a moment. The woman's lips curled up into a comforting smile. "Jack and Ares are with you, always."

And yet she still wished Severus could have walked her down the metaphorical aisle.

Lena nodded in thanks, not sure that the woman could have said anything better to her, before stepping into the courtroom.

Had it been any other time, any other place, she would have studied the room or the group of her family and friends that had gathered- but instead, her eyes fixed upon where Tom was looking to be adjusting his cufflinks nervously. Dark hair neatly styled out of his face, with skin like honeyed milk and a face that she thought (in her deepest of thoughts) that even Adonis himself could not compare to. His all-black suit was accented by a soft cream-colored tie, a few small white flowers pinned to his lapel.

As if feeling her eyes, maroon eyes looked up to stare at her in something like awe, making a happy smile stretch her lips.

She could imagine no other way she would wish to spend Yule.

Her steps finally led her to stand before the minister leading the short ceremony, smiling at him- she couldn't stop smiling, gods, she hadn't felt so giddy in forever - before turning to face Tom, reaching out to meet hands with him.

Tom looked across her face as if trying to memorize it. "Lena." His voice gentle, compassion lining it as he smiled back at her, the expression seeming to soften the normally harsh planes of his face. "I have loved no other as I do you, nor will I ever again. You have managed to do the impossible twice: not only did you find my heart, but you have claimed it as your own with your every breath." His fingers traced the lines of her palm, eyes so incredibly soft. "It is yours now. Forever."

"And that's a threat." Wednesday's voice was a mutter off to the side.

They both laughed along with the others, even if neither of them seemed to be able to look away from the other, and she had to remember to breathe at seeing him laugh so easily with no worry or guilt or shame stopping him from feeling happy.

"Tom... My Tom." When that made him smile wider, she couldn't help but do the same, cheeks nearly hurting at this point. "As someone who thought that they didn't know how to love, I cannot clearly put in words how deeply you have rooted yourself in the hollows of my chest, making space for just you to stay. But I can say that there is no other that I will ever want around more than you, and if you asked... I would set fire to the heavens."

Maroon eyes sparkled with both humor and adoration, and she knew her eyes surely looked much the same.

"Now, Lena, Tom, please repeat after me." The minister's voice was a low timber, speaking slowly. "I promise my support and trust,"

They repeated the words in synchronicity. ""I promise my support and trust,""

"This day and in the future,"

""This day and in the future,""

"For better or for worse,"

""For better or for worse,""

"For richer or for poorer,"

""For richer or for poorer,""

"In sickness and in health,"

Her words were amused, as neither of them ever got sick and they'd kill whoever dared to injure the other, his eyes sparkling as if thinking the same thing. ""In sickness and in health,""