Chapter 10:

_________________________________________________________

Suffering. That's the only emotion he felt. Suffering because of failure. Because he had failed. Had he failed? Yes, yes he had. Why else would he be feeling such. He had failed spectacularly.

Has long has it been? 10 days? Or was it more? He didn't count... He couldn't.

It has been ten or more days since Demon Lord Rimuru died and everyone was in mourning. They were suffering. Suffering due to failure. Their failure.

No, it was mine.

He thoughts so bitterly.

I alone am at fault for this.

There is still a chance.

The voice responded. Such an angelic, gentle voice.

Don't you want to stop their suffering? Don't you want to stop suffering?

I failed them. Because I failed them, they have to suffer. So I have to suffer, too.

But wouldn't it be better if both sides stopped suffering?

Why are you asking me? I can't change anything.

Indeed. You can't. It's impossible for you. You're dead. Deader than dead, in fact.

Then leave me alone. Don't tear new wounds where they aren't needed.

I am not opening wounds, I'm here to close them.

And what can you do?!

Nothing. Nothing at all. Neither can you. That's why we're both here.

Leave me alone already...

I can't do that.

Why not?! You're only making this worse!

I want to help.

How?!

That, I do not know.

Then how are you supposed to help?!

...

I don't know.

Leave.

No.

Leave!

I don't want to.

I said LEAVE! ...Just... leave.

...I can't. Not while you're still suffering.

He slept. He didn't know what else to call it. Or maybe he just didn't know if he was actually awake or sleeping. He supposed it didn't matter. He was dead anyway. So this is what death was like? It was peaceful.

Or it would be if that voice wasn't trying to talk him like... every ten minutes. Or was it ten hours? He didn't really care. He just wished it would disappear.

It's every three minutes to be precise.

And there it was, again! Nobody cared! And did it have to crush his hopes like that?! Even death can't be peaceful, he guessed. Was a bit of peace and quiet really that much to wish for?