4 - The day everything changed

The next morning I ran to the Maximoff house: I wanted to take the train with Wanda and talk a bit about what had happened. Only, when I knocked on the door, no one answered. I thought that Mrs. Maximoff had taken Wanda to school, so I didn't think too much of it. I took the train and spent the whole time wondering what I was going to say to her when I got there.

As soon as I arrived at my destination, I searched the corridors, the classroom...but there was no sign of Wanda, where could she have gone? Was it my fault? And without telling me anything...that's not like her, something must have happened to her.

As interesting as the topic of the lesson was, I couldn't stop thinking about Wanda and Pietro: both of them hadn't told me anything about their departure, but why? I mean, we even told each other how many times we had been in the bathroom and they didn't even think to say a few words to me before leaving for who knows where? Maybe her father wanted to meet her, but why on the very day she had discovered her quirk? Why not before?

While I was asking myself all these questions the professor said

"Ah, I remind you that tomorrow is field trip day, so come to class on time and be good, or we will send you home."

That's right, the field trip to Farley Stillwell's and Curt Connors' lab! At least I would have something else to think about tomorrow.

Back home I went to check to see if Wanda and Pietro had returned, but nothing. I entered the house and that night I went to bed, hoping they would be back tomorrow.

I was awakened by a familiar voice the next morning, but it wasn't aunt May.

"Hey Wall-crawler!"

I slowly opened my eyes and saw that in front of me was Wanda. Without wasting any time I got up and hugged her.

"Wanda! You're here! Where the heck have you been? Why didn't you tell me anything? You had me worried sick!"

"Hey calm down, if you ask all these questions your brain will burst! I've been at my dad's, he finally wanted to meet me!"

"That's great, but why didn't you tell me?"

"See, it was a spur of the moment thing and the phone wasn't getting reception there. I was worried that Flash would take advantage of my absence to hurt you, that didn't happen did it?"

"No, it's okay. Hey wait...the field trip to the lab! WE NEED TO GET MOVING!"

"You're right, where is my head?!"

I quickly washed up and put on the first clothes I could get my hands on, I was so excited!

"Hey Wanda, what about Pietro?"

As soon as I said it a gust of wind hit me full in the face, I looked up and....

"Hey there, Wall-crawler, what's up?"

"Pietro!"

I ran to hug him, but there was no time: we would have missed the train, so I had to hurry. I told him he would tell me all about it on the way, but he said

"Wait, WE take the train?"

"Um...yeah, why?" asked I puzzled.

"Oh Pete, we don't need the train..." then Wanda said.

"Hey, I have an idea!" resumed Pietro "Let's have a race! Whoever gets to school last buys everyone lunch!"

"I'm in!" said Wanda

"A race? But guys I don't have any quirk, and besides only Pietro is fast here."

"No more Wall-crawler!" said Wanda, who with a few moves with her hands, began to float in the air