2 - The new neighbours

A couple of days after the umpteenth clash with Flash I was enjoying the weekend reading my comics in the best store in Queens, in the company of the nicest man out there: Stan.

Stan’s really cool. He always manages to cheer you up and seems to have the answer to all kinds of problems. Every time I cross a “no” moment he’s there reading comics with me and comforting me, telling me that I’m going to overcome that particular problem. Plus, he’s an old friend of my Uncle Ben’s, he knows about his heroic career, so every month he gives me a number of a comic book of my choice. In a way Stan can find simple answers to complicated questions just by flipping through a comic book, his must be some kind of hidden quirk: you tell him what’s bothering you, he scratches his chin for a while, then he pulls a comic book off the shelf, flips through the pages and reads the answer to the problem directly in front of you, and finally he speaks deep and encouraging words; He’s a person who makes you feel special, and that’s what makes him special.

As soon as he walked into the store, Stan greeted me with the same words as always

“Hey there, true believer!”

“Hey, Stan!”

He called only me a true believer, which made our conversations even more special.

“So, Peter, how are things going?"

“As usual, Stan. Flash beats a guy, I get in the way, and then I get beaten up. Sometimes I wonder if it’s really worth it."

“I’m sure it is, Peter. I’m sure you saved that boy from a beating, and that does you credit. I’m sure your Uncle Ben is very proud of you!"

“Thank you, Stan. I just wish I wasn’t so afraid of Flash, I wish I had courage."

“Oh my dear friend, it takes courage to stand in the middle of a bully and his victim."

“Have any Hornet comics come out recently?"

“Unfortunately not, son. Anyway, I have an interesting number here," and he goes down behind the counter to pick it up "which I think you’re gonna like. There it is."

"But this is. . . this is. . . THIS IS THE LIMITED EDITION OF THE “INVINCIBLE IRON MAN”, WITH THE SCRINTING COVER! You’re the best Stan!”

“I said you’d like it!"

“Stan, you can’t give me this number for free. How much do I owe you?"

“Don’t say nonsense. it’s your birthday present, enjoy it!”

I turned 12 a few days earlier. He always remembered my birthday.

“Unbelievable! Thanks, Stan!”

“How’s it going with your studies, boy?"

“Good as always: Last physics test, I got 100%."