☆ Full Bloom ☆

Start from the beginning

“You.” Rhysand quirked a brow. Amren folded her arms, manicured nails too sharp for comfort. “I would like to discuss something with you,” she continued before sliding a silver gaze to Eblis. “Why don’t you spar with Cassian in the meantime, girl?”

She was shaking her head before the female even finished. The General of the Night Court grinned anyway, a challenge in his gaze. “C’mon, Lis. We’ll use wooden swords.” 

Lis. She hadn’t heard that pet name in five long centuries. 

Eblis looked down at her clothes as Rhysand and Amren departed. “I’m hardly dressed for sparring.” Indeed—she was wearing a thin shirt with short sleeves and even a pair of pants she’d cut to be about mid-thigh to combat the heat. Certainly nothing she should be fighting in. Not to mention that she didn’t want to spar.

Morrigan laughed. “We’re right in front of the Townhouse. I’m sure there are some better fitting clothes for you to wear.” 

“It’s too hot to get on leathers or anything,” Cassian said, and he settled his sword on the grass some distance from the small circle of space they’d deemed the boundaries. “I’m not sure where to get wooden swords though.” 

“I could get them from one of the houses,” Mor offered. 

Eblis sighed, standing in defeat even as she was struck with an idea. “No need.” She’d been practicing with Azriel the past few days since the incident with the Hewn City, and she was suddenly very capable of using her magic even while she was dog-tired and near to collapsing. She would not be captured when she was weakest again. 

Almost excited to show off, she held her hand before her and wiggled her fingers. Shadows swept to her call, and in her palm the shape of a dark, rippling sword took shape, the hilt cold and formless. Adding a small slice of her night magic, and the blade became solid. 

Cassian raised a brow. “Fancy.” His siphons flared bright red, and he then held his own weapon made of swirling, almost translucent ruby magic. She’d seen them create arrows and shields with that magic before, but never an actual weapon to use. 

Mor cursed, and said, “Why do you guys get all the cool tools?” Cassian grinned while Eblis laughed. 

“Make sure your blade is dull,” Cassian then said, turning to her. She suddenly regretted her decision as the full breadth of Cassian’s broad shoulders, muscled body, and deadly sword pointed towards her. Eblis felt way out of her depth.

A shadow swept across their forms, and before the Illyrian could advance, Azriel landed between them. His hazel eyes danced with amusement at the scene. 

“What’s going on here?”

Eblis’s toes curled in her boots at his voice. So soft and playful and challenging. It made her cheeks burn even as she tried stuffing the emotions away. 

“Well, if you hadn’t interrupted,” Cassian shot back, “I had just convinced Eblis to spar with me.”

Azriel slid a glance to her. “Really?” She took a deep breath, the shadow sword in her hand dissipating quickly as she lost her focus. “Sorry to bother you, then, but I must take Eblis.”

Cassian rolled his eyes up to the clear blue sky, the sun playing against his dark strands of sweat-slicked hair. “Why do my partners keep being taken away?” 

Morrigan laughed. “Because you suck at fighting. You’ve been spending too much time with Nes.” Cassian’s eyes sharpened in playful warning, and he beckoned her with a finger. This time, she rose to his challenge, her hands pulling her hair back from her face even as the male discarded his magic sword and picked the real ones up again.