A KIND OF PHOBIA

Before I start, first, let's set one thing straight from the beginning - I think I kind of prefer my Christmas breaks to my Easter breaks.

Well, maybe because there's nothing much to look forward to.
No harmattan vibes. No bangers or fireworks. Nothing really serious, except of course church activities.

I don't know about you but that's pretty much how mine usually go. And oh! I forgot another boring stuff about my Easter breaks.

I get to spend them in school.

Gross, right?

Now, let's move from the bad to the good. The good thing about my Easter breaks is that I've gotten used to them.

So cool! Not so?

I started turning the boring atmosphere into a rosy exciting one. School became a fun Easter retreat camp.
But then things showed a hint of change which I slightly resented.

On a phone call with mama, one breezy evening, two weeks before easter. After discussing desultorily for few minutes, mama asked slyly -

"So how are Easter preparations going over there?"
And that was when I made a prat-fall which I regretted instantly.
"Fine. Many students would be travelling home I guess" I blurted out.
"Then you should come back home too. You can't stay there all alone"
"But mama, I..."
"Don't argue with me young lady. I'll be expecting you on friday"
"Okay ma" I complied immediately.
"Take care of yourself"
"Yes ma"

There was a click on the other end. The call had ended. I sat on my bunk, stunned and angry at myself. I didn't want to travel. But on the bright side of things, it would not be such a bad idea after all.

Speculations about the Easter, on my part, were full of off-handed statements.

Please, don't ask me to explain what I mean.

On April 2, I found myself seated in a bus with my mini travelling box in between my legs. The park wasn't as buzzing as I thought it would be. Hawkers with their enticing goods and voices all over.

Oh well! I'm glad to tell you that one of them successfully got my attention and and a few moments later, I was munching roasted cashew nuts. I can remember the last time I ate those. That should be like two years ago.

I can be so stingy to myself, now can't I?

Oh well! It happens. Really.

I got home looking so famished. From the facetious look on my face, you could tell it was a bumpy ride.

But truly, it wasn't. It's just that I'm usually scared of fast speeding vehicles and that driver nearly killed me.

Little brother welcomed me at the door. Dad was in his room. Mom was still at the market. Little sister still wasn't back from computer lessons.

I unpacked my stuff, laid on the bed and slept off.

The Easter came and went, with very special moments with family. And crazy moments too. But the good surpassed.

So many untold gossips were unleashed. My sister and I.
There were new neighbours in the neighbourhood.
A new janitor had been employed in the building.

And coming to think of it, I didn't even come out so much in the open and I'm pretty sure most people never knew of my return which is kind of good. I feel so relieved right now.

April 6, I was back to my world - School.