Chapter 32 - Candlelight

Start from the beginning

"That's a lie." Nash gave a playful smirk.

Lyrani put a hand over her heart, feigning offence. "And why would I lie, Your Majesty?"

Nash tilted his head. "Because you're trying to charm me."

"Charm you into what, exactly?"

"You tell me."

Lyrani bit her lip.

She couldn't deny that she wanted Nash to kiss her again, that she had thought of what else she wanted him to do to her, but she had to tread carefully.

It wasn't only Trelle's wrath Lyrani had to avoid.

Rayn had cut Livh and Dundor off from each other because she didn't approve of them being in love. Lyrani didn't want to find out how she'd lash out at her and Nash for crossing that line, either out of perceived necessity or spite. Whatever Lyrani's feelings for him were, they could wait until a safer time.

"You're the one who invited me to dinner," Lyrani said instead, raising an eyebrow. "Perhaps I should be asking you that question."

Nash laughed as he led her to the table. It was an answer, but it only watered the seeds of Lyrani's curiosity.

It didn't matter why he had asked her to join him here tonight, only that he had. She had tried to convince herself that she wasn't looking forward to seeing him, but she had changed her outfit three times before settling on the one she was now wearing, and that told her she was lying to herself.

The silverware sparkled around the pearly plates. A small fairy statue with feathery wings stood at the centre of the table, cupping a flame in its palms. Dark, heavy curtains framed the door leading to the night-soaked treetops outside.

"I would've set this up on the balcony, but it was too small." Nash gestured at the table covered with a glittering silver cloth. "I hope you like it anyway."

"It's perfect." Lyrani smiled up at him.

He returned it, and her heart skipped a beat. She looked away.

She had told Trelle she didn't care for Nash. She had to pretend that was true for the duration of her mission if she wanted the other agent's help with seeing it through.

No matter how her lips craved his kiss. No matter how her heart reached its unsteady hands out to him.

Nash pulled out a chair for Lyrani. She sat, picturing the bustling dining room a few levels down. Trelle and the other guests were there, sitting at big tables with groups of strangers, making pointless conversation they probably wouldn't remember the next day. Lyrani had this instead, and she wouldn't trade it for anything.

As lovely as this night was, the stars couldn't compare to those beyond the pond portal. It was being with Nash that made this so special.

Nash sat across from Lyrani. His eyelashes cast long shadows in the candlelight.

A servant wearing heat mittens and carrying a large silver dish marched into the room. She set it on the table and removed the cover with a flourish. At the scent of the cinnamon in the butternut soup, Lyrani's stomach growled softly.

Three more servants came in. One carried a clear crystal bowl of colourful fruit salad with little lavender petals mixed into it, the other a china dish of vegetable pasta with big, eye-shaped leaves scattered over it, and the third a shining silver tray with bread rolls and bowls for the soup.

Each of them disguised their curious glances for Lyrani with the movement of setting down their dishes. She pretended not to notice.

No doubt there were stories about her circulating in the palace—servants were the nosiest beings in the realm—but she wanted to enjoy her last night with Nash as much as she could, not worry about what people were saying and thinking about them.