e i g h t

mistake

mistake

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

two months went by and douma was enjoying every single day with you by his side. the beating in his heart seemed to he more frequent, though he expected that feeling to disappear, it had only gotten worse. what is this different feeling in his chest? it was warm and comfortable, everytime he was around he sometimes find himself blushing.

a few days ago, douma spotted one of his male followers being way too friendly with you. a weird ache formed in his chest and he felt the need to pull you away. later that night, without even thinking it through, douma had killed that man.

it was until he made sure the poor man was killed was he able to think straight again. his actions had just confirmed his suspicion, he was in love with you. but then again, how could someone so pure like you love a demon like him?

either way, he wasn't going to keep his feelings from you. after all, you were the one who helped him feel. you deserved to know about how he felt. he was going to tell you. but he made a mistake.

the look of horror in your eyes broke him. it was happening again. it was just like three years ago. when a woman named kotoha caught him eating his followers. even though douma held no romantic feelings for her, he still didn't like the idea of killing her. but she had ran away and he was left with no choice.

this time, he knew it was different. he couldn't bring himself to kill you. no. he would never do that.

"[y/n], hold on a minute-"

"please don't. i don't want to hear it," you interrupted.

it hurt. the look on your face when you stared at him in disgust. when you sped off into the opposite direction. when you left the temple. much to his dismay, the sun was out so he was unable to chase after you.

it was unavoidable. you were going to leave him again. he had messed up. the same ache appeared in his chest again, but this time it was accompanied with an unfamiliar pain. the thought of you never coming back only fueled that burn.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

your breathing was uneven as you ran into the forest, a hand over your mouth. your mind was messy from all the thoughts. why was he... you were really hoping you saw it wrongly. but deep down you knew what you saw was real. douma was eating his followers. why?

you stopped running, leaning against a tree, you sat yourself down, trying to think. why would douma do something like that.

"don't go out so late at night, [y/n]."

your father had once said when you were younger.

"but why?"

"there a dangerous creatures lurking in the dark out there. you must be careful."

"creatures? like bad guys?"

"... demons."

"but mum said they don't exist."

"they do, they were once humans, but were unfortunately changed into man eating monsters..." your father explained. "they won't die unless you cut their head off... the sun is also their only weakness... that's why they appear at night."

thinking back, it all made sense. the past few months, douma had never left the temple in the morning. not to mention. his skin was always so cold, as if you were touching literal ice. and the faint scent of blood in his room. ah, how could you not have noticed.

but he didn't kill you. despite being a demon. did he have no intention of harming you? even when he was a demon? suddenly you felt bad. you had ran away without letting him explain himself.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

hours had passed since you left. the ache in douma's heart never left. he kept telling himself to calm down. that it was only a few more minutes before the sun fully goes down. just a few more minutes. just a few more minutes.

the door to his room slid open, and for some reason it pissed him off. he was about to cut that person into pieces with his fan when his eyes met with grey ones. not caring anymore, in a blink of an eye, before you could even say a word, strong arms wrapped around you in a tight hold.

"douma wait-!" he pulled you down onto the futon, his grip around you never loosening. with your back against his chest, arms wrapped securely around your waist, he had successfully trapped you in his hold.

"i'm sorry, i'm sorry," he muttered into your neck. "douma, it's fine, i came back to apologise too, i shouldn't have just ran off like that, i'm sorry."

"you came back..." you heard him say. you came back knowing he was a demon. a monster who consumed human flesh. someone who had murdered tons of people. you knew and still came back to him.

"[y/n], are you okay with me being a demon?"