o n e

innocence

innocence

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

you were merely at the age of five as your mother held your hand in hers. you silently followed her, not daring to speak a word due to what just happened. you didn't want to ruin her mood any further.

your father had just passed from an illness and to say your mother was devastated was an understatement. not knowing what to do after losing the love of her life, she took you with her and left the dull village you used to live in.

you were anxious and afraid of what was going to happen. your mother had lead the two of you into a forest where trees loomed over your small frames. it was especially dark due to it being in the middle of the night. your eyes darted around the unfamiliar surroundings, tightening your grasp around your mother's hand, seriously hoping she knew what she was doing.

as you walked further into the forest, a pathway soon appeared. you didn't know if it was suppose to make you feel better or not once a temple came to view. again, you looked up at your mother, her face was red and puffy from all the crying. her eyes were dead like yours. face pale and lips trembling.

upon arriving at the temple, she lifted a shaky hand, balling it into a fist before knocking on the huge door. her grip on your hand tightened causing you to feel nervous. seriously, what were the two of you doing here? and at a time like this?

the door slid open, revealing a middle aged man with brown hair. "hello, what can i do for you?" he gave your mother a kind smile. "i... just felt like leaving that place..." your mother spoke in a soft voice.

"i see. i'm sorry for whatever happened to you," the man showed his sympathy, "is she your daughter?" he asked. your mother only gave a small nod. "alright then, come with me, i'll take you to him."

you entered the temple and followed the man's lead. the hallway was empty and dark, assuming everyone in here was asleep. the man stopped walking once you were in front of a door. getting on his knees, he sat down on the wooden floor, bowing his head in respect, "please enter."

your mother pressed her fingers against the screen before sliding it open. you felt your heart rate pick up when you see about five other people in the room. they were all on their hands and knees, bowing in front of a boy who looked the same age as you, or maybe a year older.

he had pale grey hair that was parted to the left side. on top of his hair was a crown like hat which was lined with gold around it's front with black ribbons hanging from each sides. that wasn't what had you mesmerised. the boy in front of you had the most beautiful eyes you had ever seen. they were utterly gorgeous, it contained the colours of the rainbow, pastel tones that faded into one another as they circle his irises.

"hello, welcome to the eternal paradise cult," a young woman greeted. she was standing next to a man who you assumed was her husband. "thank you for accepting me, i hope it's not too much trouble," your mother quickly stated, getting on her knees, lightly pulling you down along with her. "it's not problem," the man replied.

and so, one by one, you watch all these grown adults in the room rant to the little boy. you felt... bad for him. why was a group of adults passing their burden to a literal child. the whole time the room was filled with despaired cries, you kept your gaze on the boy in front of you. he looked so pure and innocent, one would think he could hear the voice of god. though you sensed no sympathy from him. which was something you didn't understand. because as the adults told their heart breaking story, the boy stayed silent and cried along with them.

once those adults finished their part of the story and felt better, they left the room. by the time it was your mother's turn to tell her story, the room was already empty. you just sat next to her in silence as she cried her heart out over the death of her husband.

again, you were merely five, you didn't know whether you should cry or not, despite knowing your father had passed. but the thing was, you never spent much time with your father. maybe when you were around the age of one and two, you had faint memories of him. but ever since he fell sick, he was unable to spend time with you as usual. you became distant. your mum never allowed you near him in fear that the disease might spread to you.

though as your mother cried and seek comfort from this eternal paradise cult, you felt your heart ache for her. tears brimmed at the corner of your eyes as you watch your only parent completely break down. your nose started stinging as a lump formed in your throat. you couldn't do or say anything, so you silently cried along with her.