s i x

freedom

freedom

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

12 years later

there was never a day that went by where the thought of your child hood friend never crossed your mind. twelve years of trying to find him, you were so close to giving up. especially with your mother still in your life.

she was doing no better. ever since the two of you moved to another town, she had lost her shit. every day, all she consumed was alcohol. it annoyed you, really. you ended up having to take care of her.

not were you left to take care of everything, you even had to deal with her attitude. if she wasn't happy with your actions she would simply hit you.

"... don't talk to me like that you fucking whore," she slurred out, throwing a bottle at you. you tilted your head to the side, letting it smash against the wall behind you. glass breaking with a loud crash.

you let out an exhausted sigh.

"go clean that up... useless child..." she muttered out from the couch. "... and-" she let out a groan at the migraine she was having. "go buy three more bottles..."

"... it's almost three in the morning, just wait till tomorrow."

"no..! go get get them now, i'll kill you," she threatened. you rolled your eyes before leaving the house. as much as you didn't want to go buy her more alcohol, you felt the need for some fresh air.

as expected the streets were empty, not a single shop was open. you sighed at your mother's stubborness. knowing that she would get mad if you didn't return without her wanted alcohol, you decided to stay out for a while until you were sure she was asleep.

you walked to a small common area where people would hang out during the mornings. it was a little garden with benches placed around. you took a seat in one of the empty benches, letting out a sigh, you leaned your head back with your eyes closed. you decided to take a long needed break.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

with empty hands, you made your way back home. assuming your mother was asleep by now, you could just hide in your room for the rest of the day without her bothering you. honestly, you deserved some kind of reward for managing to deal with your mother's bull shit for twelve whole years.

you slid the door to your house open, stepping into the common area. your entire body froze at the familiar smell of death. that's when you noticed your mother was not in the common room. though the entire house looked a messed. you slowly made your way into the kitchen, grabbing an empty alcohol bottle on your way there, just in case you needed to hit someone.

upon entering the kitchen, your breath hitched as your eyes met your mother's corpse.

you didn't know why, but at that time, you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding. your shoulders relaxed and you felt as if a weight had been lifted off your shoulders.

but why did you feel so relieved? you had just seen your mother's corpse. instead of feeling despair, you were happy.

was this how douma felt that day?

oh right. douma.

you dropped the glass bottle, allowing it to shatter into pieces. quickly running out of the house, you made your way to the train station.

you were finally free. you could see him again. the whole train ride, your heart was beating uncontrollably. your hands were shaking with excitement, and you couldn't help the smile that appeared on your face.

when the train arrived at your destination, you started feeling anxious. you got off the train and immediately started running to the temple.

it was a long run, but you didn't care. doesn't matter how pain or sore your legs felt, how exhausted and thirsty you were. you had to see him. a wave of nostalgia hit you when you ran past the village you used to live in.

ignoring that feeling, you ran into the forest where a path would soon appear, leading you to your child hood friend.