Chapter 5

"Ikuto, what is this?" I asked, presenting a chili pepper I found in my basket to him.

He glanced at it as he took a bite of his dinner. "Ummm... A hiwi heher?" He said around the bite.

"No, this." I pointed out what appeared to be a animal nibble at the bottom. Ikuto's face grew pale. Yeah, he knows better than to bring me this. "Be more diligent in your work little brother. Do you need money for garden security?"

Ikuto shook his head enthusiastically.

"No! I've got everything, I just need to fill in some holes! Rabbits and such..." He's hiding something... But why on Earth would he hide anything from me? Especially when it comes to his garden? I'm his primary benefactor, anytime he needs something I give him the money for it. Usually when an animal nibble comes about he comes asking for a few dollars for a new fence post or some chicken wire.

But I'll eave it for now. However, if I get another nibbled product, the hammer is coming down. As soon as he was done with his dinner, Ikuto raced upstairs to his room. I looked to mom and dad at the table. "He's hiding something isn't he." They nodded and sipped their tea. Well, you two sure are helpful. I dried my hands on my apron and moved carefully up the stairs and down the hall to Ikuto's door. I couldn't hear anything though. Hm...

I went to my own room as I gave it up and began to change into my night clothes. Wearing long skirts everyday get's hot. But I dislike how women's pants are made now and I have to wear long clothes when I go to work. It's a hard time.

After changing into shorts and a T-shirt, I sat on my bed and pulled out my notebook with all my recipe ideas. My newest idea is the one I turned to immediately. All of notes have been scratched out except for the base. It's missing something and I have no idea what it is. I've tried sweet, salty, savory. But nothing seems to work.

What could I possibly be missing? Maybe it's a doomed recipe... Hmmm... Maybe I just need to move away from it for a little bit. A nice dessert recipe is just what I need right now. I'll go to the store tomorrow and get some stuff. With that in mind, I turned out the light and went to bed, dreaming of cherries and sugar covered pie crust dough.

------------------

Sunday's are great. Sunday is when I find the best deals on things I need. Let's see. I need shortening, cinnamon, butter... and I guess I should try working on that recipe today too. Making desserts is like therapy to me. When I was upset or having a hard time, Grandma would ask me to help her make a pie or some cookies. Ever since then, I've make sweets when I'm having a hard time. It's also a clear give away to people who know me that I'm upset.

As I moved through the store, I got the strangest feeling that someone was watching me. But when I looked around, all I saw was a kindly looking older woman and a man with a basket full of pasta ingredients. With a shrug, I continued on. But I kept having this weird feeling that someone was following up and down the aisle. By the time I made it to the register, my eyes were shifting back and forth.

Stepping out of the store, I felt a little better. If I can just get to the corner, maybe the feeling will leave me. However, I was not that lucky. As I turned my wrist over to glance at my little watch, someone from behind me zoomed past and stopped in front of me. I stopped, suddenly getting a really bad feeling. His smile was anything but friendly and the look in his eyes was kind of disgusting. I felt sticky just by standing here.

"How you doin' beautiful? You got some real nice shoulders peaking out of that shirt. It's a nice little tease." Shoulders? Really? My shirt does have a wide neckline, it's my favorite style. It shows off my collarbone but not my boobs... which I kind of have a lot of... But he's all about my shoulders. Ooh how creepy can you get mister?!

"I'm sorry, I don't really have time to-" I tried to move around him, but he put out his arm to stop me and pinned me against the wall.

"How 'bout you and me head to my brothers' place? You can make me a nice meal with what ever is in that bag there and I can get a closer look at those pretty shoulders."

"Get off me!" I screamed, as I pushed him.

"Hey!" The voice I heard next, made me almost want to weep in joy.