Chapter Thirty-three

Start from the beginning

The three of us spoke casually for a while longer, Alyssa conversing freely. As she spoke, I couldn't help but notice how she had changed since we met. She was shy, reserved, I'd even say afraid of people but now she's a lot bolder, I saw a lot of that during the Charleston charity event.

I loved the way she stood up to Sar-I mean-Kimberly and honestly speaking I was turned on by her confidence and that kiss. I just hope I see more of that later.

I dropped her at home minutes later after she thanked me multiple times for taking her to see him. Turned out that she was a huge fan of the guy and read all his poems. Wow.

“Don't forget to pack for our trip.” I reminded her on my way out. “I suggest you bring a lot of swimsuits, I wouldn't mind seeing you in a bikini.”

Her face flushed as I winked. I can't wait for tomorrow.

***********

Alyssa

I zipped up the suitcase that that I was taking to wherever Nathan was taking me. He mentioned that I should pack light clothing and some sandals not forgetting swimsuits so I think we're going somewhere with a beach. I can't be sure, he didn't tell me.

Before we leave, I want to visit somewhere. I haven't been there in years but I'll find it. I threw my hair into a messy bun and slipped some sneakers on before grabbing my car keys off the bed.

An hour's drive turned into two hours because I got lost multiple times which would have been avoided if I used my maps but I found the place eventually.

It wasn't exactly the way it was when I was younger but it wasn't the way I expect. I believed I would be met with a run down building or that it was sold but that wasn't the case. Love For All was still standing, not in perfect condition but not exactly rubble either.

Feelings of nostalgia hit me in torrents. Memories came flooding to my mind, I remembered the days my Dad and I would surprise my mom to take her out for lunch and when I'd come here after school with Ivy to play with the kids that lived here after school.

A lump formed in my throat but I managed to choke it down, preventing myself from crying. I forced my legs to move closer and in what felt like forever, I was past the garden and at the door. I knocked twice before a teenager with purple highlights in her hair and what I think a purple contacts came to let me in. She was a volunteer as it said on her shirt.

“Hi, is there anything I can help you with?” She asked kindly.

What am I doing here? “I came for a visit.”

“Okay. Come in please, I just have to put your name down in our visitor's list.” I followed her in and watched as she picked a book up. “What's your name please, ma'am?”

I contemplated on what to tell her. If I used my maiden name, whoever was running the place would know who I was immediately but if I used my married name, I would remain undetected for a while. “Alyssa Jordan.” No point hiding it.

I heard her gasp as the book fell out of her hands. I bent to pick it up, my eyes catching the familiar bookmark. Time had definitely taken its toll on it but I still recognized it. After all, I made it and still remember the praise I got afterwards.

“I-I am so sorry, we haven't made payments yet, no one has donated enough and what we have if barely enough to feed the kids here, please just give us more time.”

My eyebrows furrowed at her plea. “What do you mean by that? I'm not here for any money, why would I be?”

“I-I...”