63. νι¢тιмιzαтισи

Start from the beginning

"How who would react?" The officer said. 

"My husband. I knew that if he ever found out Ashton was gay, he'd react badly." She said. 

"And you still let your obviously gay son live in the same house with him?" He asked. 

"What could I have done?" She asked him. "I couldn't very well leave him, I have nothing without him. I'd be homeless, jobless, and alone. I thought... maybe he'd be able to look past it because he loved Ashton too."

"Well, from what I read when I read over the police report filed to get the restraining order validated, called the police." He said. "In the report, your son says your husband beat him, kicked him repeatedly in the head. It caused him to have a rare condition called Hydrocephalus. He had to have surgery to correct the damage done to him because of your husband. And you just watched it happened, and didn't try to stop it? Why didn't you?"

"I didn't know what to do!" She defended herself and he sighed. "My husband isn't a bad man, he's just a mess and doesn't know how to handle his frustration. I thought that he'd stop and calm down and realize what he had done, and realized the mistakes he made..." 

"Listen, I don't really care about your excuses." He said. "I've seen too many kids thrown out homeless because of self-rightous bigots thinking that it matters where you stick your weiner. I'm going to continue with my interrogation, alright?" She nodded, and wiped her eyes. "Where is somewhere your husband would go if he was on the run?" 

"There's an old cabin, in the middle of the smokies. It's in his Grand-dads name. Lou Carter." She said. 

"Lou Carter. And if I don't find him there?" He asked. 

"Then he's at his mamas house." She said tiredly. He nodded. 

"Does he have any other living relatives?" The officer asked. She shook her head. 

"You just sit tight right here." He said, and stood up. "Someone will decide what to do with you once we figure out where your husband is." 

He stood up and walked out, and I watched her as she cried into her hands. He walked over to where Blake and I stood. "I don't think she did it." I said, and looked over at the officer. "She looks too upset." 

"We will decide that once we locate your father and determine whether or not it's his DNA on the cigarette butts we sent to the FBI lab in Quantico. None of the known criminals in the database came up as a match, so it has to be someone we haven't tried yet." He said. 

"If it is my dad, what's going to happen to him?" I asked. 

"He will probably spend a few years in jail for breaking and entering, maybe on some child abuse charges as well." He said, and I nodded. 

"What about her?" I asked. 

"That really depends on her actions. She will likely be booked on child abuse charges if nothing else, and then have a trial. Your testimony could get her in jail or out of it, depending on the light you place her in." He said. 

"She's going to be tried?" I asked. 

"She openly admitted to witnessing you being beaten by your father and doing nothing about it. Yes, she's going to be tried. This state has laws in place that make it illegal to not report a crime." He said. 

"I understand." I said, and he nodded.

"You guys go on back to your hotel and relax. There's undercover cops swarming your house, and I have two stationed in the parking lot of the hotel. If your father does come looking for you, you'll have backup." He said, and I nodded and sighed deeply.